Maximum Deceleration of a Bicycle

In summary: I think ω is just the angular velocity of the front wheel, right? So if we wanted to calculate the angular acceleration of the front wheel, we would just use \alpha?That's correct! ω is just the angular velocity of the front wheel.
Kaevan807

Homework Statement

2cr26a8.jpg

I'm only trying to answer the maximum deceleration possible question, not the rest.

Homework Equations

Not really sure which equations are applicable, I know the Maximum deceleration of a body in general will be a = μ*g.

Although I would think that moments need to be taken into account for this question.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've had two trains of though with this question, the first was just assuming that between using both breaks, the maximum deceleration possible could be achieved and so we get:

a = (9.81*0.8) = 7.848 m/s2

Not a very engineering solution though and I know it's probably not the correct solution.

I would try to do it with moments, calculating the friction using each and both of the breaks, and then take moments about the axle of the front wheel, but I'm missing measurements to allow me to get these moments.

I know the maximum acceleration with the front break only is given by a = g* (distance from COM to front wheel/ height of COM).

i.e. a = (9.81 * (0.635/1.143)) = 5.45 m/s2

I just want to know how I should go about this problem more than anything. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kaevan807! :smile:

If we ignore tipping, the maximum deceleration comes from the maximum friction force, which is µ(Nfront + Nrear).

(and if both wheels are braking, then N = mg)

And tipping will occur when Nrear = 0. :wink:

(alternatively, use the non-inertial frame of reference in which the bicycle is stationary …

then there are two forces on the bicycle: mg vertically down, and ma horizontally forward, making an "effective weight" of the combination of them …

tipping will happen when that weight misses the wheelbase)​

So does that mean I was right and that the maximum deceleration will be μ*g?

Or did I just completely misread what you just said?

Kaevan807 said:
So does that mean I was right and that the maximum deceleration will be μ*g?

"If we ignore tipping", yes :smile:

By tipping I presume you mean over the handlebars rather than to the side?

How do I calculate the maximum deceleration without ignoring tipping then?

Kaevan807 said:
By tipping I presume you mean over the handlebars rather than to the side?

yes :smile:
How do I calculate the maximum deceleration without ignoring tipping then?

Tipping will occur when Nrear = 0. :wink:

(which you can find from τ = Iα)

Just getting more and more confused :P I understand tipping occurs when Nrear = 0, but what is T in that equation?

I is the moment of inertia right? But how do I calculate the moment of inertia of a bicycle? (Moments of inertia really aren't my strong point)

And how do I calculate the angular acceleration? ( which is what alpha is right?)

Just so I get this right though, assuming that Nrear is just = 0, (i.e. That point where we're using maximum breaking force on the front wheel only without tipping) that would mean that we're breaking with the front wheel only, in which case, I know how to calculate the maximum deceleration with just that wheel.

Would I be right in assuming that any breaking force which equates to a front wheel only deceleration less than that value would not cause tipping? And therefore would allow for full breaking power on the read wheel as well?

(Not really sure how I'd calculate that, but just want to get my head around where I'm going with this)

Kaevan807 said:
Just getting more and more confused :P I understand tipping occurs when Nrear = 0, but what is T in that equation?

τ (tau) is the total torque
I is the moment of inertia right? But how do I calculate the moment of inertia of a bicycle? (Moments of inertia really aren't my strong point)

And how do I calculate the angular acceleration? ( which is what alpha is right?)

When it starts to tip, α = 0 :wink:

(and now I'm off to bed :zzz:)

But if α = 0, then surely τ = 0? Which tells me what? Is there some equation that all of that goes into? Really don't get where I'm supposed to be going with this question

Kaevan807 said:
But if α = 0, then surely τ = 0?

sorry, my late-at-night oversimplification :redface:

τ = dLtotal/dt = d/dt (Ic.o.mω + Lc.o.m),

where Lc.o.m is the angular momentum of the whole mass m as if it were concentrated at the centre of mass

that τ equals the moment of the weight plus the moment of Nrear

now set Nrear = 0 and α = 0 :wink:

Sorry, still very confused..

First off, why are we calculating Torque?
Torque is a measure of how much a force causes an object to rotate right? So it makes more sense to calculate Torque than moments?

Where are we taking the Torque about? The object will rotate about the axle of the front wheel presumably? So where does this come into the equation?

Is ω in the equation the same as [itex]\alpha[/itex]?

Looking through the link you put in, most of the formulae contain a velocity v, which we don't have, a mass m, which we don't have and a position vector r, which, relative to the axle of the front wheel, we only have an x-component for? I can see how you could leave some of these as constants, but I don't understand how you can go from Torque to Deceleration in the first place?

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and sorry that it's taking me so long to come to grips with this, some parts of mechanics I find really easy but this stuff trips me up a bit.

Kaevan807 said:
First off, why are we calculating Torque?
Torque is a measure of how much a force causes an object to rotate right? So it makes more sense to calculate Torque than moments?

torque and moment (of force) are the same thing :wink:
Where are we taking the Torque about? The object will rotate about the axle of the front wheel presumably? So where does this come into the equation?

no, it will tip about the bottom of the front wheel (the instantaneous centre of rotation)

we can take moments (torques), and use τ = dL/dt, about any stationary point, or about a moving point provided
i] it is the centre of mass
ii] it is the instantaneous centre of rotation, and the the instantaneous centre of rotation is moving in a straight line parallel to the centre of mass
Is ω in the equation the same as [itex]\alpha[/itex]

sorry, no, I'm using the standard notation α = dω/dt = d2θ/dt2
Looking through the link you put in, most of the formulae contain a velocity v, which we don't have, a mass m, which we don't have and a position vector r, which, relative to the axle of the front wheel, we only have an x-component for?

m will cancel

v you don't need, because you only need dv/dt (a), which you can find from µN = ma

(and you do have the y-component, since it's the bottom, not the axle)

Finally got a chance to meet up with my lecturer today, who said that Max deceleration occurs when the front brake only is applied and the back wheel just comes off the ground, i.e. The equation that I have at the start.

Didn't realize that it tipped about the bottom of the front wheel which made everything make more sense. Thanks for the help.

What point on the bike would I do the moment of inertia about? Do I set Nrear and alpha=0 in the same equation, or will there be more than one equation?

FAQ: Maximum Deceleration of a Bicycle

1. What is the maximum deceleration of a bicycle?

The maximum deceleration of a bicycle depends on several factors such as the tire type, road conditions, and the rider's weight. However, in general, the maximum deceleration of a bicycle is around 0.5 to 0.8 g (gravitational constant) which is equivalent to 4.9 to 7.8 meters per second squared.

2. How is the maximum deceleration of a bicycle measured?

The maximum deceleration of a bicycle can be measured using a decelerometer, which is a device that measures the rate of deceleration. It can also be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time taken for the bicycle to come to a complete stop.

3. Can the maximum deceleration of a bicycle be increased?

Yes, the maximum deceleration of a bicycle can be increased by using high-quality tires with good traction, maintaining the brakes in good condition, and having proper body positioning while braking. Additionally, reducing the weight of the bicycle can also increase its deceleration ability.

4. How does the maximum deceleration of a bicycle affect safety?

The maximum deceleration of a bicycle is an important factor in ensuring rider safety. A higher maximum deceleration means the bicycle can come to a stop more quickly, reducing the risk of accidents. However, a sudden and excessive deceleration can also cause the rider to lose control of the bicycle, so it's important to maintain a safe and consistent deceleration rate.

5. Are there any safety regulations regarding the maximum deceleration of a bicycle?

There are no specific safety regulations regarding the maximum deceleration of a bicycle. However, most countries have regulations on the minimum braking performance of bicycles, which indirectly affects the maximum deceleration. It's important for riders to regularly check and maintain their brakes to ensure they meet these safety standards.

Back