Maximum difference of voltage in converter

In summary: What you need to do is take Vin and divide it by 10/(2^2n). The question is asking for the maximum voltage difference between Vin and the DAC's output. The maximum voltage difference between Vin and the DAC's output is LSB.
axcelenator
I have a successive approximation ADC converter (left) and is connected to a DAC converter.
The Vref of the ADC is 10V and the Vref of the DAC is brought fom an internal leg of the SAR.
This internal leg is the output of the SAR's internal DAC.

The question is: what can be the maximum voltage difference between Vin and Vout?

(I know that the maximum voltage difference between Vin and output of the SAR's internal DAC is LSB but here I have a kind of chain and it' a problem...)

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• sar.bmp
    268 KB · Views: 503
Physics news on Phys.org
Work through it stage by stage.

Full scale input = vref = 10V
The ADC has 12 bits so each digital value could represent an input voltage +/- x
What output voltage would the DAC produce when fed by that digital value.
Vout could differ from Vin by x

what do you mean x?

Deleted

Last edited:
You don't want to work with digitization (lsb's, thresholds, etc.).

Draw the diagram: an a/d converter with its reference of 10V. Now, the critical question is, what is the voltage output from the SAR "leg", given an input voltage v? That voltage is going to be the reference voltage for the d/a converter. You're going to have to think deeply about this I believe.

Let the a/d output = x (a number between zero and 2^N - 1 where N is the size of the a/d converter output register. Let v_out be the output of the d/a converter. What is its output in terms of its digital input x (assume N same for both the a/d and d/a converters) and the SAR output voltage? After some algebra, find v - v_out in terms of v alone & do the usual calculus to find v for max. difference, and the difference itself.

This problem has nothing to do with resolution other than the assumption of N being the same for both converters. The answer is a nice healthy voltage!

Ah heck I totally missunderstood the circuit. My tired old eyes saw a complete A-D converter followed by a D-A converter. It's not that at all. The bit on the left is just the SAR part of an A-D converter.

hello I got the Vout but look at it: I have an answer with a part which is taken only after calculation as a number without partions so there is no way to do some algebra on: vin-vout.

But: The question was how to find what will be the maximum difference and this is the problem

This is what i got

Attachments

• Vout.jpg
    Vout.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 374
axcelenator said:
This is what i got

What you did was fine.
Now finish up by computing Vin - Vout. Your Vout will be in terms of Vin per you last equation which of course has to be cleaned up a bit.

it can't be cleaned up because the part in brackets [ ] is integer. i can't take out of that nothing
for example:
vin=6.3 and n=12 →vout=3.9675volt

there is know way to clean it up

axcelenator said:
it can't be cleaned up because the part in brackets [ ] is integer. i can't take out of that nothing
for example:
vin=6.3 and n=12 →vout=3.9675volt

there is know way to clean it up

OK, going to take you one step closer:

Vout = (10/2^2n)[(Vin/10)*2^n]^2 ... your last equation

= (10/2^2n)[(Vin^2)*(2^2n)/100]
= (Vin^2)/10.
So now take Vin - Vin^2/10 and maximize w/r/t Vin.

sorry but can't understand how do you take the ^2 and make it inside the integer in brackets.
and what is w/r/t?

axcelenator said:
sorry but can't understand how do you take the ^2 and make it inside the integer in brackets.
and what is w/r/t?

w/r/t means 'with respect to', often used in math.

You need to work the other question out by yourself. It's just algebra. How about {2n}2 = 22n, does that help? I don't know where your're having trouble, really.

hey, this is the trouble : look at this part. [(Vin/10)*2^n]^2
lets take Vin=6.3Volt --> [2580.48]^2=2580^2=6656400/
and now: this is what you suggest: [(Vin^2)*(2^2n)/100] --> [6658877.03]=6658877
what we get is that: 6656400 not equals 6658877 )-:
thats what I am trying to explain that i can't hand out algebra with integers...

axcelenator said:
hey, this is the trouble : look at this part. [(Vin/10)*2^n]^2
ers...

When you multiply "this part" with 10/(2^2n) you wind up with (Vin^2)/10. Why are you messing with those large numbers?

FAQ: Maximum difference of voltage in converter

1. What is the maximum difference of voltage in converter?

The maximum difference of voltage in converter refers to the highest potential difference that can be achieved between the input and output of a converter. It is typically measured in volts and is an important parameter in determining the efficiency and performance of a converter.

2. How is the maximum difference of voltage calculated?

The maximum difference of voltage is calculated by subtracting the minimum output voltage from the maximum input voltage. This value is important in determining the voltage conversion ratio of a converter and is used to determine the overall efficiency of the conversion process.

3. What factors affect the maximum difference of voltage in a converter?

The maximum difference of voltage in a converter can be affected by various factors such as the design and quality of the components used, the input and output voltage levels, and the load resistance. Other external factors such as temperature and noise can also impact the maximum voltage difference.

4. Why is the maximum difference of voltage important in converter design?

The maximum difference of voltage is an important consideration in converter design as it affects the overall efficiency and performance of the converter. A higher voltage difference can lead to higher power losses and decreased efficiency, while a lower voltage difference may result in insufficient power output.

5. How can the maximum difference of voltage be optimized in a converter?

The maximum difference of voltage can be optimized in a converter by carefully selecting and designing components, using efficient control and regulation techniques, and implementing proper heat management. Additionally, regular maintenance and monitoring can help identify and address any issues that may affect the maximum voltage difference.