Maximum Force for Block on Bracket Friction?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 10kg block resting on a 5kg bracket on a frictionless surface, with coefficients of static and kinetic friction between the two objects. The question asks for the maximum force that can be applied to the block without it sliding on the bracket, as well as the acceleration of the bracket. The solution involves applying Newton's second law and considering the forces acting on the block and the system as a whole. It is important to note that the maximum value of the static friction force is not the same as the applied force.
Proximity

Homework Statement

A 10kg block is resting on a 5kg bracket, which rests on a frictionless surface. The coef. of static and kinetic friction between the block and bracket are .4 and .3, respectively. Find out a) the max force that can be applied to the block without the block sliding on the bracket and b) the acceleration of the 5kg bracket.

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/1958/56qe9.jpg

Homework Equations

Fnet = m * a

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems like a very simple question but I'm just having an issue with it (plus the book calls it a "challenging" problem so it just seems too easy).

Finding a) was pretty simple, just do 10 * .4 * 9.81 (Normal Force * [tex]\mu[/tex]k). I came up with 39.24N as the answer.

To find b I thought it would just have to apply Newton's second law.

39.24N = (5kg + 10kg) * a
a = 2.62m/s

But since this seemed too easy so I thought that I was wrong. Since the bracket exerts a frictional force on the block, do I have to include the force of the block on the bracket as given by Newton's third law? That seemed logical to me but then it would obviously negate the force of the string which would mean no acceleration, and it seems extremely obvious that there would be acceleration.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Proximity said:
Finding a) was pretty simple, just do 10 * .4 * 9.81 (Normal Force * [tex]\mu[/tex]k). I came up with 39.24N as the answer.
What you found is the maximum value of static friction, which is not the same thing as the applied force F. (If F simply equaled the max friction force then the block would be in equilibrium.)

So it's not that simple. Apply Newton's 2nd law to the block and to the system as a whole.

That is what F equals though, isn't it? The question asks the max force that can be applied to the block so it doesn't slide. The max force that the static friction can apply is 39.24N, and so the max force on the string that can be applied is also 39.24N.

Proximity said:
That is what F equals though, isn't it?
No.
The question asks the max force that can be applied to the block so it doesn't slide. The max force that the static friction can apply is 39.24N, and so the max force on the string that can be applied is also 39.24N.
That would be true if it wasn't accelerating. But it is. Apply Newton's 2nd law.

Related to Maximum Force for Block on Bracket Friction?

What is block on bracket friction?

Block on bracket friction is a type of friction that occurs when two solid objects, such as a block and a bracket, come into contact and are in motion relative to each other.

How is the coefficient of friction calculated for block on bracket friction?

The coefficient of friction for block on bracket friction can be calculated by dividing the force required to move the block by the weight of the block. This ratio is known as the coefficient of friction.

What factors affect the amount of friction in block on bracket friction?

The amount of friction in block on bracket friction can be affected by several factors, including the material of the block and bracket, the surface roughness, and the amount of force applied.

Why is block on bracket friction important to understand?

Block on bracket friction is important to understand because it is a common type of friction that can occur in many mechanical systems. Understanding this type of friction can help engineers design more efficient and effective systems.

How can the amount of friction in block on bracket friction be reduced?

The amount of friction in block on bracket friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the block and bracket. Additionally, using materials with lower coefficients of friction can also help reduce friction in this system.