Maximum Height of Lighter Object in Pulley System - Homework Solution

The maximum height reached by the lighter object is 3.93m.In summary, two masses, 3.2kg and 2.2kg, are initially positioned 1.80m above the ground with a massless and frictionless pulley positioned 4.8m above the ground. The lighter object reaches a maximum height of 3.93m after the system is released, assuming it does not hit the pulley. This is calculated by finding the acceleration using F=ma, solving for the velocity of the lighter object when the heavier object hits the ground, and using that velocity to find the maximum height.
joseg707

Homework Statement

Two masses, 3.2kg and 2.2kg are each initially 1.80m above the ground, and the massless and frictionless pulley is 4.8m above the ground. What maximum height dies the lighter object reach after the system is released? Assume it doesn't hit the pulley.

Homework Equations

F=ma
y=yo+vo+1/2at2

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for acceleration by using F=ma and got 1.8m/s2.
I then solved for the velocity of the lighter object when the heavier object hit the ground by solving for the time it took for the heavier object to hit the ground and used that time to find the velocity

-1.8=-0.9t2
t=1.4

v=1.8*1.4
v=2.56

After finding the velocity I used that to find the maximum height.

y=2.56t-4.9t2
t=0, 0.522

0.522/2
t=0.261

y=3.6+2.56t-4.9t2
y=3.93333

I think I didn't take something into account or I used the wrong equation completely. Can someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to commend you on your attempt at solving this problem. Your use of the equations F=ma and y=yo+vo+1/2at2 are correct in finding the acceleration and velocity of the lighter object. However, it seems like you may have made a mistake in your calculation for the time it takes for the heavier object to hit the ground. It should be t=1.4 seconds, not 1.4 meters. This means that your calculation for the velocity of the lighter object is also incorrect.

To find the maximum height of the lighter object, you can use the equation y=yo+vo+1/2at2, where yo=1.8m, vo=0, a=-1.8m/s2, and t=1.4 seconds.

y=1.8+0+1/2(-1.8)(1.4)2
y=1.8+0.882
y=2.682m

Therefore, the maximum height reached by the lighter object is 2.682m.

One thing to note is that this solution assumes no external forces acting on the system, such as air resistance. In real-world situations, these external forces may affect the accuracy of the calculated maximum height. Overall, your approach to solving this problem was correct, but be sure to double check your calculations for accuracy.

FAQ: Maximum Height of Lighter Object in Pulley System - Homework Solution

1. What is the purpose of having someone check my work?

The purpose of having someone check your work is to ensure accuracy and avoid any mistakes. By having someone else review your work, they can provide a fresh perspective and catch any errors that you may have missed.

2. Who should I ask to check my work?

You should ask someone who is knowledgeable and experienced in the subject matter. This could be a colleague, mentor, or supervisor who has expertise in the area you are working on.

3. How do I ask someone to check my work?

When asking someone to check your work, it is important to be polite and respectful. Explain the purpose of your request and provide a timeframe for when you need the work to be checked. It is also helpful to provide specific areas or questions you would like them to focus on.

4. What should I do if the person finds mistakes in my work?

If the person checking your work finds mistakes, it is important to listen to their feedback and make necessary revisions. It is also helpful to ask for clarification or suggestions on how to improve your work in the future.

5. Is it okay to ask multiple people to check my work?

Yes, it is okay to ask multiple people to check your work. However, it is important to be mindful of their time and not overwhelm them with too many requests. It may also be helpful to ask different people for different perspectives on your work.