Maximum Initial Velocity of a Tennis Ball: Solving for the Optimal Launch Speed

In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the maximum initial velocity that can be achieved with a regular tennis ball. The question is marked as "hard" and involves no variables or equations. The participants suggest using estimation and making assumptions, such as estimating the distance the ball can be thrown or thrown straight up. There is also mention of using algebra to solve for the maximum range or initial velocity. The conversation concludes with a reminder to be reasonable in estimates and a question about whether there is any derivation involved.
Aquaticus
Hi there all, I'm new to this forum and I really need some help. The question is described as follows:

Estimate the maximum "initial velocity" that you can achieve with a regular tennis ball.

Presumably there are no variables, nor are there any equations involved.

I think that an assumption would be necessary, but how do I solve it? I should also say that this is marked as a "hard question".

I would really appreciate if someone helped me, thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Aquaticus said:
Hi there all, I'm new to this forum and I really need some help. The question is described as follows:

Estimate the maximum "initial velocity" that you can achieve with a regular tennis ball.

Presumably there are no variables, nor are there any equations involved.

I think that an assumption would be necessary, but how do I solve it? I should also say that this is marked as a "hard question".

I would really appreciate if someone helped me, thanks in advance!

Are you allowed to use a tennis racket or a baseball bat or similar, or are you just throwing it/kicking it?

I'm just throwing it.

Aquaticus said:
I'm just throwing it.

Fine. Not sure how big you are, but when I throw something, my hand moves about 1m. I can manage to move it that far in perhaps 1/4 second. That would mean it averages 4 m/s.
If I have managed to accelerate my hand uniformly all that time, the final speed will be twice the average speed so that would mean 8m/s tops for me [and I am not sure I can actually move my hand that fast].
Note that a standard tennis ball is not heavy enough to slow my hand too much. now had it been a shot-put I would have been in trouble.

Note also: If I manage to throw it at 10m/s, it means I could throw it 5m into the air if I threw it straight up. Not sure I can throw that high??

I have to show it with algebra, how can I do that?

Aquaticus said:
I have to show it with algebra, how can I do that?

To quote the lead character from a great Australian movie - The Castle - "Tell 'em they're dreaming!"

But if you want some algebra, you could use the maximum range formula
Maximum Range = v2 / g

You could estimate how far you can possibly throw a tennis ball for the range, and use g=10 since it is only an approximation only.

Alternately you could estimate/claim how far you can throw a tennis ball straight up, and use the vertical motion formulae to calculate an initial velocity.

Note: be reasonable in your estimates.
I reckon I could throw a tennis ball to the other end of a tennis court - I wonder how long they are? I could maybe throw from base to base on a baseball diamond too?
I reckon I could perhaps throw a ball to 8m straight up, but I am tall so I would be releasing the ball about 2m from the ground for a start

Isn't there any derivation involved (it has to do with the maximum initial velocity)?

Related to Maximum Initial Velocity of a Tennis Ball: Solving for the Optimal Launch Speed

What is motion in two dimensions?

Motion in two dimensions is the movement of an object in a two-dimensional plane. This means that the object is moving both horizontally and vertically at the same time.

What is the difference between motion in one dimension and motion in two dimensions?

Motion in one dimension only involves movement in a single direction, while motion in two dimensions involves movement in two directions (horizontal and vertical).

What are some examples of motion in two dimensions?

Some examples of motion in two dimensions include projectile motion, circular motion, and motion on an inclined plane.

How is the motion of an object in two dimensions represented?

The motion of an object in two dimensions is typically represented using vectors, which show both the magnitude and direction of the object's movement.

What are some important equations for calculating motion in two dimensions?

Some important equations for calculating motion in two dimensions include the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration in both the horizontal and vertical directions.