Maximum Light Bulbs on a 110V Circuit with 20A Limit?

In summary, the maximum number of 60.0 W light bulbs that can be put in a household circuit with a voltage of 110V and a maximum current of 20.0 A is 36.
Jabababa

Homework Statement

What is the maximum number of 60.0 W light bulbs that can be put in a household circuit (V= 110V) without tripping the circuit breaker if the maximum current through the circuit is 20.0 A?

Homework Equations

P= Vi

The Attempt at a Solution

P= VI => I=P/V for each light bulb's current...I= 60/110v = 0.545454A for 1 light bulb.

Max 20.0A so 20/0.545454 = 36.66666666 => 36 light bulbs you can put max.

Please check see if i got it right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jabababa said:

Homework Statement

What is the maximum number of 60.0 W light bulbs that can be put in a household circuit (V= 110V) without tripping the circuit breaker if the maximum current through the circuit is 20.0 A?

Homework Equations

P= Vi

The Attempt at a Solution

P= VI => I=P/V for each light bulb's current...I= 60/110v = 0.545454A for 1 light bulb.

Max 20.0A so 20/0.545454 = 36.66666666 => 36 light bulbs you can put max.

Please check see if i got it right.

The logic is good. In practice you may be in trouble since a 60 W light globe briefly operates at more than 60W when it is first turned on, so if you switched them all on at once the fuse may trip.

ahh thank you. This is for an assignment so we are not actually going to do that in real life. Just wondering if my calculations are right!

FAQ: Maximum Light Bulbs on a 110V Circuit with 20A Limit?

What is a light bulb?

A light bulb is an electrical device that produces light when an electric current passes through it. It typically consists of a glass bulb containing a filament or an enclosed LED, and is connected to an electrical power source via metal contacts.

How does a light bulb work?

When an electric current flows through the filament or LED of a light bulb, it causes the filament to heat up and emit light or causes the LED to emit light directly. This happens because the resistance of the filament or LED converts the electrical energy into heat and light energy.

What is the difference between incandescent and LED light bulbs?

Incandescent light bulbs use a filament made of tungsten that glows when heated by an electric current, while LED light bulbs use a semiconductor material that emits light when an electric current passes through it. LED bulbs are more energy efficient and durable compared to incandescent bulbs.

Why do light bulbs burn out?

Light bulbs burn out due to a number of reasons, including the natural deterioration of the filament, exposure to high temperatures, or a power surge. The lifespan of a light bulb can also be affected by the quality of the materials used and the frequency of use.

How can I choose the right light bulb for my needs?

When choosing a light bulb, factors to consider include the type of light output (warm or cool), the brightness (measured in lumens), the color temperature (measured in Kelvin), and the energy efficiency (measured in watts). It is also important to choose a bulb with the correct base size and shape to fit the light fixture.

Back