Maximum Likelihood Estimator Question

In summary: Hence the MLE of N is 30.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum likelihood estimate (MLE) of the number of lots in a bag, given that two lots have been randomly drawn without replacement and observed to be 17 and 30. The approach is to use the discrete uniform distribution and consider the probability of choosing these two numbers. It is determined that the MLE of N is 30, as any higher value would result in a lower likelihood.
Pyroadept

Homework Statement

A bag contains sequentially numbered lots (1,2...N). Lots are drawn at random (each lot has the same probability of being drawn). Two lots are drawn without replacement and are observed to be X_1 = 17 and X_2 = 30. What is the MLE of N, the number of lots in a bag?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi everyone,
Here's what I've done so far. I know it has to be the discrete uniform distribution but I'm really very stuck as to how to insert the numbers on the lots into the equation. I can't seem to find any examples like the above question.

--

Use the discrete uniform distribution.
The lots are drawn without replacement, so:

P(X_1) = 1/N
P(X_2) = 1/(N-1)

There are N(N-1) possible combinations of two lots we can draw from the bag.

Hence L(N;X_i) = [(1/N)(1/(N-1))]^((N)(N-1))

l = ln L = N(N-1).ln[1/(N(N-1))]

∂l/∂N = ln[1/(N(N-1))] + (N(N-1))^2

At max, ∂l/∂N = 0

i.e. -ln[1/(N(N-1))] = (N(N-1))^2

---
But here I have two problems in that the equation above is pretty horrible to be working out and also I haven't used the 30 and 17 anywhere in the equation. I know I must be wrong, but I don't know how else I can phrase the answer.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
check this out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_likelihood#Examples

i think this is a bit of a trick question to get you thinking... say you know N, the probability of choosing the 2 numbers you got is
P(X_1).P(X_2) = (1/(N))(1/(N-1))

now clearly this is decreasing function of N, so will be maximised by the least value of N alloeable, in this case 30. Any higher value of N would give a lower likelihood

Related to Maximum Likelihood Estimator Question

1. What is a Maximum Likelihood Estimator (MLE)?

A Maximum Likelihood Estimator is a statistical method used to estimate the parameters of a probability distribution based on a set of observed data. It works by finding the set of parameter values that maximizes the likelihood of the observed data occurring.

2. How does MLE differ from other estimation methods?

MLE differs from other estimation methods, such as the method of moments or least squares, in that it takes into account the entire distribution of the data, rather than just a few summary statistics. This allows for more accurate and robust parameter estimates.

3. What assumptions are necessary for MLE to be valid?

The main assumptions for MLE to be valid include: the data must be independent and identically distributed, the likelihood function must be well-defined and continuous, and the parameter space must be constrained to ensure a unique maximum.

4. How is the confidence interval of an MLE calculated?

The confidence interval of an MLE is typically calculated using the likelihood ratio test, which compares the likelihood of the data under the estimated parameter value to the likelihood of the data under a different, but plausible, parameter value. The interval is then constructed using the critical values of the test statistic at a chosen significance level.

5. Can MLE be used for any type of data?

MLE can be used for a wide range of data types, including continuous, discrete, and even censored data. However, it is important to ensure that the chosen probability distribution is appropriate for the data being analyzed.