Maximum negative voltage of a sphere?

In summary: I'm not familiar with Van de Graff generators, but I imagine they would be capable of generating high voltages. Be very careful when working with these types of generators - they can be dangerous if not used properly.
G Cooke
I would like to know the maximum voltage that a metal sphere can hold from applying negative charge to it.

My thoughts are that the maximum voltage is the breakdown voltage of the surrounding medium (air in this case). I assume that at that voltage, electrons would arc from the sphere to the nearest object. I found that air actually has a breakdown electric field strength of 3 MV/m, which I assume to mean that if there is an object one meter away from a sphere charged to 3 MV, breakdown will occur (likewise, if there is an object three meters away, I can go up to 9 MV before breakdown occurs, etc.).

Since the work required to apply another charge increases with each charge applied, I imagine that perhaps special equipment would be required to actually achieve such a large voltage. What equipment is capable of this?

I would also like to know the best practical (household or within a reasonable purchase) way of applying a specific amount of negative charge to a metal sphere. I imagine that I could charge a capacitor and discharge half of the voltage into the sphere since the system would achieve equilibrium once the voltage of the capacitor matches the voltage of the sphere. I imagine a coulombmeter would otherwise be of great service.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
G Cooke said:
Since the work required to apply another charge increases with each charge applied, I imagine that perhaps special equipment would be required to actually achieve such a large voltage. What equipment is capable of this

are you familiar with Van De Graff generators ?

you have given no indication of what electronics/electrical experience you have
you can be dealing with VERY high voltages, in this sort of experimenting, that can kill
Be very careful

Cheers
Dave

Likes G Cooke
davenn said:
are you familiar with Van De Graff generators ?
Oh yes, I forgot about Van de Graaff generators. We used one for demonstration in Physics II.
davenn said:
you have given no indication of what electronics/electrical experience you have
you can be dealing with VERY high voltages, in this sort of experimenting, that can kill
Be very careful
Thanks for the warning. I'm not as concerned with high voltage as I am with being able to apply a specific, chosen voltage. I just wanted to know the maximum so that I would know how easy it would be to accomplish my experiment. So far, I think the best way to do this would be to charge a capacitor and discharge half of its voltage into the sphere, but I'm interested in what you and others think.

It is important that the voltage be negative, so I assume by simply touching the negative side of the capacitor to the sphere, I can achieve this.

Last edited:

Related to Maximum negative voltage of a sphere?

1. What is the maximum negative voltage that a sphere can have?

The maximum negative voltage of a sphere is determined by the material properties and size of the sphere. It can range from a few hundred volts to several thousand volts.

2. What factors affect the maximum negative voltage of a sphere?

The maximum negative voltage of a sphere is affected by the radius of the sphere, the material it is made of, the surrounding environment, and the presence of any electric fields.

3. Can the maximum negative voltage of a sphere be measured?

Yes, the maximum negative voltage of a sphere can be measured using specialized equipment such as a voltmeter or an electrostatic field meter.

4. Why is the maximum negative voltage of a sphere important in scientific research?

The maximum negative voltage of a sphere is important in scientific research as it helps in understanding the behavior of electric fields and their effects on different materials. It also plays a crucial role in various electrostatic experiments and applications.

5. How can the maximum negative voltage of a sphere be increased?

The maximum negative voltage of a sphere can be increased by increasing the radius of the sphere, using materials with higher dielectric strength, and creating a more isolated and controlled environment for the sphere. Applying a higher voltage to the sphere can also increase the maximum negative voltage.