Maximum possible force exerted on a sail

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a sailboat and a sail with specific dimensions and conditions. The goal is to determine the maximum force that could be exerted on the sail if all momentum of the wind is transferred to it. The solution involves calculating the change in momentum per second and using equations related to kinetic energy and power. The final answer is that the maximum force would be around 12 pounds for a 10 mph wind and 60 pounds for a 22 mph wind, which may seem small but is a rough approximation for the purposes of sanity checking.
Contero
This isn't actually homework. It's just been a very long time since I've been in mechanics/calculus class and I was trying to figure this out for my own reference / sanity checking. I've made up this problem to try and understand what amount of force is exerted on a sailboat under the most ideal of conditions. A sail is limited by the mass and speed of the air that moves past it. What is the absolute maximum possible force that could be exerted by the wind on a sail if all momentum of the wind were transferred to the sail? The point of this problem is to throw away all other considerations about aerodynamics and come up with a value which would serve as a sanity checking value for other calculations of force on a sail. Basically "if you've calculated a force greater than this, you've done something wrong".

Homework Statement

Let's say I have a stationary sailboat with a sail that has area A. The sail is perpendicular to the wind which has a velocity of V. The density of the air is q.

My sail is a magical sail which has the property that it absorbs all the momentum from all air that touches it. Let's not worry about where the air with no momentum goes. That momentum is absorbed by the sail which exerts a force on my sailboat. What is the net force exerted on the sailboat while the sailboat is not in motion?

Given these values, how many pounds of force are exerted on the sailboat at the instant that the sails are opened into the wind and the sailboat is not moving?

A = 2m2
V = 4.5 m/s
q = 1.29 g/liter = 1.29 kg/m3

Homework Equations

p = m*v
F = dp/dt
k = 1/2*m*v2
P = ΔW/Δt = F*v

The Attempt at a Solution

My first thought was to figure out the "change in momentum per second" which I think is equal to the force.

Mass of air per second = q*A*V

Momentum per second = (mass per second)*v = q*A*V * V

Force = Momentum per second = dp/dt = q*A*V2

F = qAV2 = (1.29kg/m3)*(2m2)*(4.5m/s)2 = 52.2 Newtons = 52.2N * (1lb/4.44822162N) = 11.7lbs

So that would say that in a 10ish mile per hour wind with a 2 square meter sail, the MAXIMUM possible force that could be exerted by the sail is only 12 pounds? In a 22 mph wind (10m/s) it would be 60 pounds of force? These values seem far too small to be correct, and I'm sure I'm doing something completely wrong here.

It's occurred to me to look at this from the point of view of kinetic energy per second and Watts, but I have no idea how I would then turn that back into a force acting on the sailboat.

Physics news on Phys.org
Slowing down air in front of the sail can help to slow down air elsewhere, too, but for a rough approximation your approach should be fine.

Related to Maximum possible force exerted on a sail

1. What is the maximum possible force exerted on a sail?

The maximum possible force exerted on a sail is dependent on several factors such as wind speed, sail size and shape, and the angle of the sail relative to the wind. However, for a standard sailboat, the maximum possible force exerted on a sail is typically around three to four times the sail's area in square feet.

2. How does wind speed affect the maximum force on a sail?

Wind speed has a direct impact on the maximum force exerted on a sail. As wind speed increases, so does the force exerted on the sail. This is because the faster the wind, the more kinetic energy it carries, which translates into a stronger force on the sail.

3. What role does sail size and shape play in the maximum force on a sail?

The size and shape of the sail play a crucial role in determining the maximum force that can be exerted on it. A larger sail will be able to catch more wind and generate a greater force, while a more aerodynamically designed sail will be able to convert that wind into a stronger force more efficiently.

4. Can the maximum force on a sail be exceeded?

Technically, yes, the maximum force on a sail can be exceeded. However, this is not recommended as it can put too much strain on the sail and potentially cause damage. It is important to adjust the sail or change course to prevent the force from exceeding safe levels.

5. How does the angle of the sail affect the maximum force on it?

The angle of the sail relative to the wind also plays a significant role in determining the maximum force exerted on it. A sail that is perpendicular to the wind will receive the maximum force, while a sail that is parallel to the wind will receive no force at all. The angle of the sail can be adjusted to control the amount of force it receives.