Maximum Power dissipated at load resistor

Bling Fizikst
Homework Statement
refer to the image
Relevant Equations
refer to the image
Screenshot 2024-10-03 203839.png

So , max power is dissipated when the load resistance and thevenin resistance becomes equal such that $$P\leq \frac{V_{\text{th}}^2}{4R_{\text{th}}}$$
Then i applied the 'star delta' transformation by converting the 'delta' ABC to 'star' ABC .
WhatsApp Image 2024-10-03 at 20.48.37_60cee29f.jpg

From there , by loop current method , i got $$i=\frac{\epsilon}{\frac{5R}{3}+r}$$ (assuming the other ##\frac{R}{3}## is redundant)
Hence, $$V_{\text{th}}=i\cdot \frac{R}{3}=\frac{\epsilon R}{5R+3r}$$
Now , by removing the battery ##\epsilon## , i got ##R_{\text{th}}=\frac{5R}{3}+r##

Computing , ##P_{\max}## using these values gives the wrong answer . Not sure where i went wrong . I have confusions regarding the value of ##V_{\text{th}}## though

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is ##r## a resistor??? IDK, it's strange to see two batteries in series if they aren't modeling something about two different batteries. It's even stranger to use that schematic symbol for a resistor. I'd guess it's a battery (ideal voltage source, really).

Bling Fizikst said:
Now , by removing the battery ##\epsilon## , i got ##R_{\text{th}}=\frac{5R}{3}+r##
You don't remove the battery, you short-circuit it, i.e. replace it with a wire. Then you find the resistance between the load terminals. Check you have done this correctly.

Edit. To be more precise, I should have said short-circuit the emf: the battery's internal resisstance should still be part of the circuit - it doesn't get shorted-out.

Last edited:
Likes DaveE
Steve4Physics said:
You don't remove the battery, you short-circuit it, i.e. replace it with a wire. Then you find the resistance between the load terminals. Check you have done this correctly.
Yeah!!! i made that silly error of replacing the battery with open circuit . I have arrived at the correct answer now . Thanks!

Likes Steve4Physics and berkeman
Back