Maximum speed on conservative forces problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a girl swinging on a playground swing and finding her maximum speed. The solution involves using the equation KE1 + PE1 = KE2 + PE2 and plugging in values for initial and final heights. It is also assumed that there is no air resistance.
fanie1031
1. A girl swings on a playground swing in such a way that at her highest point she is 3 m from the ground, while at her lowest point she is 0.5m from the ground. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s^2. What is her maximum speed? Answer in units of m/s.

2. 1/2mVf^2 + mgyf = 1/2mVi^2 + mgyi

I made initial velocity to equal zero.
3. [Vf= (mghi - mghf)/ (1/2m)]^(1/2)

When I do this... I endup square rooting a negative number. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you use for initial and final height?

Is the velocity actually zero at the initial height?

I'm using .5 as her initial height and 3 as her final height. Is that my problem? And velocity... I just assumed... that may be wrong. (Thanks for the quick reply by the way!)

OOh I got it! I did this:

v=[2(gVi-gVf)]^(1/2)

You sparked my thinking. Thank you.

The problem mentions nothing about air resistance so we can assume that our forces our conservative. This meas that the sum of your forces at position 1 (her highest point) is equal to the sum of the forces at position 2 (her lowest point).

KE1 + PE1 = KE2 + PE2

You can elimitate your KE1 because at her highest point the girls velocity is 0.

This leaves us with PE1 = KE2 + PE2 We expand this formula to:

mgh1 = (1/2)m[v(squared)] + mgh2

this can be simplified by canceling out all of your masses.

gh1 = (1/2)[v(squared)] + gh2

Now just plug in your values and solve for your velocity.

Edit: Nevermind, you beat me to it.

Oh thank you for going ahead and writting up the solution.

Related to Maximum speed on conservative forces problem

1. What is the concept of maximum speed on conservative forces problem?

The concept of maximum speed on conservative forces problem refers to the maximum velocity that an object can reach while moving under the influence of conservative forces, such as gravity or spring force. It is the point at which the object's kinetic energy equals its potential energy, and any further increase in speed would require an external force.

2. How is the maximum speed on conservative forces problem calculated?

The maximum speed on conservative forces problem is calculated by equating the object's kinetic energy to its potential energy. The equation is given by KE = PE, where KE is the kinetic energy and PE is the potential energy. This equation can be solved for the velocity (v) by taking the square root of both sides: v = √(2PE/m), where m is the mass of the object.

3. Can the maximum speed on conservative forces problem be exceeded?

No, the maximum speed on conservative forces problem cannot be exceeded without the application of an external force. This is because the object's kinetic energy cannot exceed its potential energy, and any further increase in speed would require additional energy, which can only come from an external force.

4. What factors affect the maximum speed on conservative forces problem?

The maximum speed on conservative forces problem is affected by the mass of the object and the magnitude of the conservative forces acting on it. A heavier object or a larger magnitude of conservative forces would result in a lower maximum speed, while a lighter object or smaller magnitude of conservative forces would result in a higher maximum speed.

5. How does the concept of maximum speed on conservative forces problem relate to real-world scenarios?

The concept of maximum speed on conservative forces problem can be seen in many real-world scenarios, such as a ball rolling down a hill or a pendulum swinging back and forth. In these scenarios, the object's maximum speed is reached at the bottom of the hill or at the bottom of the swing, where its kinetic energy is at its maximum and its potential energy is at its minimum.