Maximum tilting angle of a composite body

In summary, the question asks about the maximum angle at which a cone can be rotated before a scoop of ice cream, acting like a perfect sphere, falls out. The center of mass of the ice cream is located at z = 5.02, and the cone has dimensions of 4.00 in tall, 3.60 in interior height, 1.25 in exterior radius, and 1.10 in interior radius. Using the equation \theta = atan (x/z), where x is unknown, it is possible to find the angle at which the center of mass of the ice cream will go beyond the point it is resting on and fall out. Calculations show that the tilting angle is 43.24^{
unknown_2

Homework Statement

What is the maximum angle you can rotate the cone before the scoop falls out? Assume that the scoop of ice cream acts like a perfect sphere and does not stick to the cone.

calculated already that the center of mass is located at z = 5.02

1119614_002.jpg

Assume that the scoop of ice cream is a sphere with radius r = 1.51in and is placed into a 4.00 in tall cone. The interior height of the cone is 3.60 in. The exterior radius of the cone is 1.25 in and the interior radius is 1.10 in.

Homework Equations

[tex]\theta[/tex] = atan (x/z) [i got this from the answers section of a similar problem]

where:
-x is something i don't know
-z is the center of mass in the z direction

The Attempt at a Solution

no clue where to start.
i looked at similar problem but they weren't much help. i don't really understand the concept of how this works.

any help would b nice

cheers,

Physics news on Phys.org
When do you think the ball will fall from the cone? Try it out with a glass and a ball.

You will see that once the center of mass of the ball goes 'further' than the point it is resting on, it will fall out.

Now you'll just have to figure out at what angle that will be.

sry for the late reply, just got my internet fixed. so i understand what u said. so from my figure:
sdfsdfsfcopy.jpg

r = 1.51
x = 1.10

so i solved for [tex]\phi[/tex] :

[tex]\phi[/tex] = 180 - ([tex]cos^{-1}[/tex][tex]\frac{1.10}{1.51}[/tex] + 90)
= [tex]46.75^{o}[/tex]

so then the sum of all the angles in the larger triangle will be 180 so:
[tex]\theta[/tex] = 180 - ([tex]\phi[/tex]+90)
=[tex]43.24^{o}[/tex]

since it's simmilar triangles so the tilting angle is [tex]43.24^{o}[/tex]?

can any1 shed some light on what i did wrong.

Related to Maximum tilting angle of a composite body

1. What is the maximum tilting angle of a composite body?

The maximum tilting angle of a composite body refers to the maximum angle at which the body can be tilted before it loses its stability and tips over.

2. How is the maximum tilting angle of a composite body determined?

The maximum tilting angle of a composite body is determined through various factors such as the body's shape, weight distribution, and the materials used in its construction. It can also be calculated using mathematical equations and computer simulations.

3. Why is the maximum tilting angle important for composite bodies?

The maximum tilting angle is important because it determines the stability and safety of the composite body. Knowing this angle can help engineers design stronger and more stable structures, preventing accidents and failures.

4. Can the maximum tilting angle of a composite body be increased?

Yes, the maximum tilting angle of a composite body can be increased by changing its design, materials, or weight distribution. However, there will always be a limit to how much the angle can be increased before the body becomes unstable.

5. Are there any real-life applications for the maximum tilting angle of composite bodies?

Yes, the maximum tilting angle of composite bodies is important in many industries such as aerospace, automotive, and architecture. It is also used in sports equipment design, such as skateboards and surfboards, to ensure stability and performance.