Maximum Value of Positive Integers in a Product-Sum Equation

In summary: Let $p,\,q,\,r,\,s,\,t$ be positive integers such that $pqrst=p+q+r+s+t$. If $pe 1$, then $re q$. If $re q$, then $se t$.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Let $p,\,q,\,r,\,s,\,t$ be positive integers such that $pqrst=p+q+r+s+t$.

Find the maximum possible value of max $\{p,\,q,\,r,\,s,\,t\}$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Let $p,\,q,\,r,\,s,\,t$ be positive integers such that $pqrst=p+q+r+s+t$.

Find the maximum possible value of max $\{p,\,q,\,r,\,s,\,t\}$.

Hello.

I have not found another way to solve the problem:p

Suppose: [tex]p >1[/tex][tex]p=\dfrac{q+r+s+t}{qrst-1}[/tex]

It follows:

[tex]qrst \cancel{=} 1 \rightarrow{}q+r+s+t \ge{}4[/tex]

[tex]qrst \le{}4[/tex]

[tex]If \ qrst >4 \rightarrow{} p <2[/tex]

Example: [tex]p=2, \ q=2, \ r=2, \ s=1, \ t=1[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]max(p) \rightarrow{} min(q)[/tex]

Solution:

[tex]p=5 \ , \ q=2 \ , \ r=1 \ , \ s=1 \ , \ t=1[/tex]

[tex]p+q+r+s+t=10 \ and \ pqrst=10[/tex]

Note: the variables I considerate interchangeable

Regards.

mente oscura said:
Hello.

It follows:

[tex]qrst \le{}4[/tex]

Therefore:

Solution:

Regards.

Thanks mente for your solution (yes, it has the correct answer) and I will wait a bit before posting the two solutions that I have to share with you and the community here...I believe others might want to take a stab at it as well.:)

Let $P = p\cdot q\cdot r\cdot s\cdot t$, and $S = p+q+r+s+t$, where $p,q,r,s,t \in \mathbb{N}$

WLOG I can choose a $p$-value and let $q,r,s,t$ all be equal to $1$. Once $p$ is fixed, I will look for the smallest possible increments of $P$ by varying $q$.

If $p = 1$ … the smallest possible values of $P$ are: $1,2,3, …$ and $S = 5,6,7,…$.

If $p = 2$ … the smallest possible values of $P$ are: $2,4,6,…$ and $S = 6,7,8,…$

It is easy to see, that $P \neq S$ for $p > 5$.

In general:

For a given $p$ the smallest possible values of $P$ are: $p, 2p, 3p, …$ and the corresponding

$S$-values are $p+4, p+5, p+6, …$.

Thus, I´m looking for integer solutions of $p$: $np = p + 3 + n, \;\; n = 1,2,3, …$

Or $ p = \frac{n+3}{n-1}$ for $n > 1$. There are exactly three integer solutions the largest of which is $5$ (for $n=2$).

I found an interesting article "When does a sum of positive integers equal their product?" by Michael W. Ecker (Math. Mag. 75 (2002) 41–47 – you can find it online if you have access to JSTOR). It gives the answer to the problem in this thread, and much more besides.

Sample result: Given a positive integer $v$, the equation $v = x_1 +x_2 + \ldots + x_n = x_1x_2\cdots x_n$ (with $n>1$) has a solution if and only if $v$ is not prime. The proof is easy enough that readers of this subforum ought to be able to find it for themselves. (Wait)

mente oscura said:
Hello.

It follows:

[tex]qrst \le{}4[/tex]

Therefore:

Solution:

Regards.

lfdahl said:
Let $P = p\cdot q\cdot r\cdot s\cdot t$, and $S = p+q+r+s+t$, where $p,q,r,s,t \in \mathbb{N}$

WLOG I can choose a $p$-value and let $q,r,s,t$ all be equal to $1$. Once $p$ is fixed, I will look for the smallest possible increments of $P$ by varying $q$.

If $p = 1$ … the smallest possible values of $P$ are: $1,2,3, …$ and $S = 5,6,7,…$.

If $p = 2$ … the smallest possible values of $P$ are: $2,4,6,…$ and $S = 6,7,8,…$

It is easy to see, that $P \neq S$ for $p > 5$.

In general:

For a given $p$ the smallest possible values of $P$ are: $p, 2p, 3p, …$ and the corresponding

$S$-values are $p+4, p+5, p+6, …$.

Thus, I´m looking for integer solutions of $p$: $np = p + 3 + n, \;\; n = 1,2,3, …$

Or $ p = \frac{n+3}{n-1}$ for $n > 1$. There are exactly three integer solutions the largest of which is $5$ (for $n=2$).

Hi mente oscura and lfdahl,

Thank you for the solution and for participating in my challenge thread!:) As I have mentioned before, $5$ is the correct answer, bravo!;)

Opalg said:
I found an interesting article "When does a sum of positive integers equal their product?" by Michael W. Ecker (Math. Mag. 75 (2002) 41–47 – you can find it online if you have access to JSTOR). It gives the answer to the problem in this thread, and much more besides.

Sample result: Given a positive integer $v$, the equation $v = x_1 +x_2 + \ldots + x_n = x_1x_2\cdots x_n$ (with $n>1$) has a solution if and only if $v$ is not prime. The proof is easy enough that readers of this subforum ought to be able to find it for themselves. (Wait)

Thanks, Opalg for your reply and sharing with us what you've found.:eek:

Solution(Suggested by other):
Suppose $t \ge s \ge r \ge q \ge p$.

We need to find the maximum of $t$.

Since $t<p+q+r+s+t \le 5t$, then $t<pqrst \le 5t$, i.e. $1<pqrs \le 5$.

Hence, $(p,\,q,\,r,\,s)=(1,\,1,\,1,\,2),\,(1,\,1,\,1,\,3),\,(1,\,1,\,1,\,4),\,(1,\,1,\,2,\,2),\,(1,\,1,\,1,\,5)$ which leads to maximum $t$ of 5.

Last edited:

Related to Maximum Value of Positive Integers in a Product-Sum Equation

1. What is the purpose of finding the maximum value?

The purpose of finding the maximum value is to determine the largest value in a given set of data. This can provide useful information for decision making, analysis, and prediction in various fields such as statistics, economics, and science.

2. How is the maximum value calculated?

The maximum value is calculated by comparing all the values in a given data set and identifying the largest one. This can be done manually or with the use of mathematical formulas and algorithms.

3. What is the difference between the maximum value and the average value?

The maximum value is the largest value in a data set, while the average value is the sum of all values divided by the number of values. The maximum value represents the highest point, while the average value represents the central tendency of the data set.

4. Can the maximum value be affected by outliers in the data set?

Yes, the maximum value can be affected by outliers in the data set. Outliers are extreme values that are significantly higher or lower than the rest of the data. If a data set has outliers, the maximum value may be skewed and not accurately represent the typical values in the data set.

5. How can finding the maximum value be useful in real-world applications?

Finding the maximum value can be useful in various real-world applications. For example, in finance, finding the maximum stock price can help investors make decisions on when to buy or sell stocks. In sports, finding the maximum score can determine the winner of a game. In manufacturing, finding the maximum weight a machine can handle can ensure safe and efficient production. Overall, finding the maximum value can provide valuable insights and aid in decision making in many fields.