Maximum voltage in a capacitor with 2 dielectrics

In summary, the problem involves two infinite conductor plates with two dielectrics (with permittivities K1 and K2) sandwiched between them. The capacitor can be seen as two capacitors connected in series. The maximum electric field for the first dielectric is Er1 and the thicknesses of both dielectric layers are known as d1 and d2. The goal is to find the value of the maximum electric field for the second dielectric so that both dielectrics will break at the same time, and the voltage that needs to be applied to achieve this field. The solution involves using the equations for electric field and voltage, as well as considering the capacitors in both series and parallel. Ultimately, the results show that the required
Phillipe

Homework Statement

We have two infinite conductor plates, with two dielectrics (with permitivities K1 and K2) put together between them so that the capacitor may be taken as two capacitors connected in series. We know that the maximum electric field for the first dielectric is Er1, and we also know the thicknesses of both dielectric layers (we'll call the thicknesses d1 and d2).

A) What's the value of the maximum electric field for the second dielectric, so that both will break at the same time?
B) Which voltage do we need to apply in order to get such field?

(When I say "maximum electric field", I'm referring to the electric field required to break the dielectric and turn it into a conductor)

Homework Equations

Let E0 be the electrical field applied to the capacitor, and Vr be the required voltage to break both dielectrics.

[tex]{E_r} = \frac{{{E_0}}}{{{k_i}}}[/tex] (with i=1,2)
[tex]V = Ed[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since

[tex]{E_0} = {E_{r1}}{k_1}[/tex]

and

[tex]{E_0} = {E_{r2}}{k_2}[/tex]

We can write

[tex]{E_{r1}}{k_1} = {E_{r2}}{k_2}[/tex]

therefore

[tex]\frac{{{E_{r1}}{k_1}}}{{{k_2}}} = {E_{r2}}[/tex]

which gives us the required field to break the second dielectric. I assume that if we apply an electric field of at least E0 we'll break them both. Which leads us to calculate the required voltage:

[tex]{V_r} = {V_1} + {V_2}[/tex] (consider both dielectrics as two capacitors connected in series)

threrefore, the required voltage would be

[tex]{V_r} = {E_{r1}}{d_1} + {E_{r2}}{d_2}[/tex]Is my procedure correct? Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Phillipe said:

Homework Equations

Let E0 be the electrical field applied to the capacitor, and Vr be the required voltage to break both dielectrics.

[tex]{E_r} = \frac{{{E_0}}}{{{k_i}}}[/tex] (with i=1,2)
[tex]V = Ed[/tex]

We do not apply electric field. We apply voltage. Your E0 is the "electric displacement" which is equal to the surface charge density. As the charge is the same on the series capacitors you can say that E0 = Er1K1=Er2K2.

Anyway, the results of your solution are correct.

ehild

Thanks a lot.

Just out of curiosity, how would the answer differ if the dielectrics were in parallel? I mean besides the voltage being the same for both instead of the sum.

If the dielectrics were in parallel, the capacitors were in parallel, too, and both had the same thickness. So the electric field intensity were the same E=V/d for both. That part would brake down where V/d is greater than the maximum allowed electric field.
The voltage were the same, but the surface charge density were different , being equal to Ki*V/d.

ehild

ehild said:
If the dielectrics were in parallel, the capacitors were in parallel, too, and both had the same thickness. So the electric field intensity were the same E=V/d for both. That part would brake down where V/d is greater than the maximum allowed electric field.
The voltage were the same, but the surface charge density were different , being equal to Ki*V/d.

ehild

I didn't understand the last part. Does the Ki*V/d come from P=[tex]\epsilon[/tex]0*Xe*E, which is equal to the surface density? I assume you're calling =[tex]\epsilon[/tex]0*Xe "Ki", but in that case wouldn't it be Ki*V/(d*Ke), Ke being the dielectric's permitivity?

I denoted the absolute permittivity of the i-th dielectric by Ki, as you used this notation for the permittivity in your first post. You might have meant relative permittivity. I would note the (absolute) permittivity of a dielectric by ε. If the surface charge density on a metal is σ, the electric field intensity in the dielectric at the neighbourhood of the metal surface is E=σ/ε.
E=V/d inside both capacitors. As V is the same for the parallel capacitors and d is supposed to be the same, too, the electric field intensity is also equal. But this means that the surface charge density is different on the plates of the capacitors filled with different dielectric.

ehild

ehild said:
I denoted the absolute permittivity of the i-th dielectric by Ki, as you used this notation for the permittivity in your first post. You might have meant relative permittivity. I would note the (absolute) permittivity of a dielectric by ε. If the surface charge density on a metal is σ, the electric field intensity in the dielectric at the neighbourhood of the metal surface is E=σ/ε.
E=V/d inside both capacitors. As V is the same for the parallel capacitors and d is supposed to be the same, too, the electric field intensity is also equal. But this means that the surface charge density is different on the plates of the capacitors filled with different dielectric.

ehild

Oh, I see! You meant the surface density for the free charges in the plates, not the induced density in the dielectrics.

Thanks a lot!

Phillipe said:
Oh, I see! You meant the surface density for the free charges in the plates, not the induced density in the dielectrics.

Thanks a lot!

Yes, of course. The charge of the capacitor is on the plates.

ehild

Related to Maximum voltage in a capacitor with 2 dielectrics

What is the maximum voltage in a capacitor with 2 dielectrics?

The maximum voltage in a capacitor with 2 dielectrics depends on the dielectric constants and thicknesses of the two materials, as well as the distance between the plates. It can be calculated using the formula V = V1 + V2, where V1 and V2 are the voltages in each dielectric layer.

How do the dielectric constants affect the maximum voltage in a capacitor?

The dielectric constants of the two materials affect the maximum voltage by determining the amount of charge that can be stored in the capacitor. A higher dielectric constant allows for a higher charge storage and therefore a higher maximum voltage.

Can the maximum voltage in a capacitor with 2 dielectrics be exceeded?

Yes, the maximum voltage in a capacitor can be exceeded if the applied voltage is too high. This can lead to breakdown of the dielectric materials and potential damage to the capacitor.

How does the distance between the plates affect the maximum voltage in a capacitor?

The distance between the plates of a capacitor affects the maximum voltage by increasing the electric field strength. A smaller distance between the plates leads to a higher electric field and therefore a higher maximum voltage.

Are there any safety considerations when working with capacitors and high voltages?

Yes, it is important to follow safety guidelines when working with high voltage capacitors. This includes using appropriate protective gear, avoiding direct contact with high voltage components, and properly grounding the circuit to prevent electric shock.