Maximum voltage in the primary circuit of a transformer

lorenz0
Homework Statement
The primary circuit of a transformer has ##N=240## windings, each one with area ##S=10cm^2##. In the primary circuit flows a sinusoidally alternating current. The magnetic field in the iron core of the transformer goes from the maximum value of ##B_0=65mT## along the direction perpendicular to the windings to the exact same value but in the opposite direction in ##\Delta t=10 ms##.

Find the maximum voltage in the primary circuit.
Relevant Equations
##V=-N\frac{d\phi(\vec{B})}{dt}##, ##V_{max}=\sqrt{2}V_{eff}##
The alternating current will create an induced voltage given by ##V=-N\frac{d\phi(\vec{B})}{dt}=-N\frac{\Delta\phi(\vec{B})}{\Delta t}=N\frac{2 B_0 S}{\Delta t}=\frac{240\cdot 2\cdot 65\cdot 10^{-3}\cdot 10\cdot 10^{-4}}{10\cdot 10^{-3}}=3.12 V## and since this is the effective voltage, the maximum voltage will be ##V_{max}=\sqrt{2}V_{eff}=\sqrt{2}\cdot 3.12 V\approx 4.4 V##. Now, the result given is ##4.9 V## but I haven't been able to figure out where I have made a mistake so I would be grateful if someone could point it out to me, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lorenz0 said:
Homework Statement: The primary circuit of a transformer has ##N=240## windings, each one with area ##S=10cm^2##. In the primary circuit flows a sinusoidally alternating current. ...
You seem to do ##\Delta \Phi/\Delta t## as if it were a sawtooth ...

##\ ##

Last edited:
Likes lorenz0 and berkeman
BvU said:
You seem to do ##\Delta \Phi/\Delta t## as if it were a sawtooth ...

##\ ##
Ah, I think I have understood now. Since ##V(t)=V_0\sin(\omega t)## it must be that ##B(t)=B_0\cos(\omega t)## with ##\omega=2\pi f=\frac{2\pi}{T}=\frac{2\pi}{2\delta t}=100\pi\ \frac{rad}{s}## so that ##V(t)=V_0\sin(\omega t)=-N\frac{d\phi(\vec{B})}{dt}=-N\frac{d}{dt}\left( B_0\cos(\omega t)S )\right)=NB_0S\omega\sin(\omega t)## thus ##V_0=NB_0S\omega=240\cdot 65\cdot 10^{-3}\cdot 10^{-3}\cdot 100\pi\ V\approx 4.9\ V.##

Likes berkeman

Related to Maximum voltage in the primary circuit of a transformer

What determines the maximum voltage in the primary circuit of a transformer?

The maximum voltage in the primary circuit of a transformer is determined by the insulation rating of the transformer windings and the dielectric strength of the insulating materials used. It is crucial to ensure that the voltage does not exceed these ratings to prevent breakdown and potential failure of the transformer.

How does the turns ratio affect the maximum voltage in the primary circuit?

The turns ratio of a transformer does not directly affect the maximum voltage in the primary circuit. Instead, it determines the relationship between the primary and secondary voltages. The primary voltage is dictated by the input voltage source, while the secondary voltage is the primary voltage multiplied by the turns ratio.

Can the maximum voltage in the primary circuit be increased safely?

Increasing the maximum voltage in the primary circuit can be done safely only if the transformer's insulation and design specifications are rated for the higher voltage. This often involves using materials with higher dielectric strength and ensuring that the transformer is designed to handle the increased electrical stress.

What are the consequences of exceeding the maximum voltage in the primary circuit of a transformer?

Exceeding the maximum voltage in the primary circuit can lead to insulation breakdown, arcing, overheating, and ultimately, transformer failure. This can result in significant damage, safety hazards, and costly repairs or replacements.

How is the maximum voltage rating of a transformer specified?

The maximum voltage rating of a transformer is specified by the manufacturer and is based on the design and materials used in the transformer's construction. It is typically listed on the transformer's nameplate along with other important specifications such as power rating, frequency, and turns ratio.