Maximum Volume of a Box: How to Optimize Cardboard Usage for Chocolate Boxes

What does that tell you about the function V(x)?In summary, the Chocolate Box Company is trying to determine the largest volume box it can make using 5x14 inch rectangles of cardboard by cutting squares out of the corners and folding up the sides. The solution involves finding the derivative of the volume equation, setting it equal to 0, and solving for x. The two values for x found, 1.11 and 5.21, may not both be valid solutions, as plugging them into the volume equation may result in a negative volume.
zeezey

Homework Statement

Chocolate Box Company is going to make open-topped boxes out of 5 × 14-inch rectangles of cardboard by cutting squares out of the corners and folding up the sides. What is the largest volume box it can make this way? (Round your answer to the nearest tenth.)

Homework Equations

V = length * width * height

The Attempt at a Solution

V(x) = x(14-2x)(5-2x)
=70x-38x^2+4x^3

d/vx = 12x^2 - 76x + 70
12x^2 - 76x +70 = 0
= 1.11 and 5.21

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, you didn't round to the nearest tenth. :wink:

Second, are you sure that both answers are valid? What happens if you plug in those values for x in
V(x) = x(14-2x)(5-2x)?

What am I supposed to get if I plug those numbers into that equation? Those points are valid if I plug them into the derivative equation I found. Is my derivative wrong ?

Your answers are not wrong, but not all answers may be valid. So you tell us: find V(1.11) and V(5.21), and note their signs.

FAQ: Maximum Volume of a Box: How to Optimize Cardboard Usage for Chocolate Boxes

What is the formula for calculating the maximum volume of a box?

The formula for calculating the maximum volume of a box is V = l*w*h, where l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height.

What is the significance of finding the maximum volume of a box?

Finding the maximum volume of a box is important in real-life applications such as packaging and storage, as it allows for the most efficient use of space.

How can the maximum volume of a box be determined?

The maximum volume of a box can be determined through mathematical calculations or by physically filling a box with water and measuring the amount of liquid it can hold.

How does changing the dimensions of a box affect its maximum volume?

Changing the dimensions of a box can significantly impact its maximum volume. For example, increasing the length and width while keeping the height constant can greatly increase the volume.

What are some real-life examples where finding the maximum volume of a box is useful?

Finding the maximum volume of a box is useful in many industries such as shipping, packaging, and construction. It can also be helpful in everyday tasks like organizing storage spaces or packing for a move.

Back