Maximum Weight Limit for Roof-Mounted AC Unit: Solving with Trigonometry

• Thread starter maff is tuff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary, the problem involves an air-conditioner unit fastened to a sloped roof and the need to determine the maximum allowed weight of the unit to prevent it from sliding down the roof. The solution involves calculating the weight of the unit and determining the maximum weight allowed based on a given angle and force limit. Rounding of the final answer should be based on the significant figures of the given information.
maff is tuff

Homework Statement

An air-conditioner unit is fastened to a roof that slopes upward at an angle of 36.0˚ . In order that the unit not slide down the roof, the component of the unit's weight parallel to the roof cannot exceed 520N. What is the maximum allowed weight of the unit?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at the solution is an attached file. We haven't learned about force yet but this problem is in the homework. My answer seems wrong because I don't think you can add two different weights unless they are in the same direction. And my answer seems too large. So how do I find the weight of the AC unit? Do I use some kind of Pythagorean identity? Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• AC unit problem.pdf
    56 KB · Views: 469
Physics news on Phys.org
In your solution, you have W1 which is a vector parallel to the roof and W2 which is a vector perpendicular to the roof. The problem says that the "component of the unit's weight parallel to the roof" cannot be larger than 520 N. That's just W1.

Sorry I'm not following. I thought w1 is perpendicular to the ground. How can w1 be parallel to the roof when it intersects the roof? I think I'm missing something big.

maff is tuff said:
Sorry I'm not following. I thought w1 is perpendicular to the ground. How can w1 be parallel to the roof when it intersects the roof? I think I'm missing something big.

No, you're okay. Your diagram shows w1 as the weight of the air conditioner. It is vertical. Your w2 is the normal force produced by that weight on the surface of the roof, and your "520" labelled vector is the downslope force produced by the weight.

So you've done the correct calculation: w1 = 520N/sin(36°)

That's the maximum weight of the unit.

Alright thanks a lot. Sorry one more question: When I calculate 520/sin(36˚ ) I get 884.6768407. So I shouldn't round up (right?) because the max is that number so rounding to 885 would be over max weight? Well I submitted my answer as 884 because of the reason I just stated and it counted my answer as correct, but said the true answer is 885 and to use the number 885 if I need it for future calculations. Can you explain why it is 885 and not 884? Thanks

The rounding of results should be based upon the significant figures available in the given information, not on the particulars of the "application" of the calculation.

In real life, each given value should have attached to it an error estimate (or precision estimate). So, for example, the maximum downslope force might be specified as 520N +/- 15N. Proper rounding and carrying forward of the errors through the calculation would result in a value for the allowed weight with a tolerance that an engineer could interpret according to application.

Oh ok gotcha. Thanks again

Related to Maximum Weight Limit for Roof-Mounted AC Unit: Solving with Trigonometry

What is a "Simple Weight Problem"?

A simple weight problem refers to a situation where an individual is struggling with maintaining a healthy weight due to factors such as diet, exercise, and genetics.

What are the common causes of a simple weight problem?

The most common causes of a simple weight problem include unhealthy eating habits, lack of physical activity, genetic predisposition, and certain medical conditions.

How can I determine if I have a simple weight problem?

If you are concerned about your weight and believe you may have a simple weight problem, it is best to consult a healthcare professional. They can evaluate your overall health, assess your weight and body mass index (BMI), and discuss any potential risk factors.

What are the potential health risks associated with a simple weight problem?

A simple weight problem can increase the risk of various health issues, including type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and certain types of cancer. It can also lead to low self-esteem and mental health problems such as depression and anxiety.

What are the most effective strategies for managing a simple weight problem?

The most effective strategies for managing a simple weight problem include following a balanced and nutritious diet, engaging in regular physical activity, and seeking support from a healthcare professional or a registered dietitian. It is also essential to adopt healthy habits and make sustainable lifestyle changes for long-term weight management.