Maximum Wind Speeds and Atmosphere Loss on Small Planets

In summary, the maximum wind speed for a planet is limited by its escape velocity, which is determined by its mass and radius. Gravity does not have a direct effect on maximum wind speed, but it does play a role in determining escape velocity. This could potentially be a factor in atmosphere loss for small planets.
LKD_
I was reading the Mars article about dunes and I wondered to myself, is there a limit to wind speeds before the wind escapes the planet's gravity and enters into the upper atmosphere, or dissipates in space? Would this be a factor in atmosphere loss that the small planets all seem to have succumbed to?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
LKD_ said:
I was reading the Mars article about dunes and I wondered to myself, is there a limit to wind speeds before the wind escapes the planet's gravity and enters into the upper atmosphere, or dissipates in space? Would this be a factor in atmosphere loss that the small planets all seem to have succumbed to?

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity for an understanding of escape velocity - as you can infer from the reading wind achieving escape velocity is unlikely.

This http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_escape will give you a good basic understanding of the mechanisms behind atmospheric loss.

Hope this helps.

It does. Thank you.

But does the gravity have an effect on maximum windspeed for a planet?

LKD_ said:
It does. Thank you.

But does the gravity have an effect on maximum windspeed for a planet?

Theoretically the maximum speed limit would be just under the escape velocity which is derived with M (mass) and r (radius) as a variable. Gravity does not vary (G is the gravitational constant) in the equation, so it is mass and radius which has the variable effect.

Vesc=(2GM/r)2 works for spherical symmetrical bodies with the barycenter being direct center of the spherical object, you can plumb in the values for Mass of the planet, Radii of the planet, use the Gravitational constant and this will give you the escape velocity. Windspeed cannot be higher than this value.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Need some clarification from more knowledgeable posters but there would need to be EXTREME conditions for this to be likely, but I fail to see any physical restrictions for these speed barring the mechanism for driving windspeed.

Very very helpful. Thanks for being so well versed to answer this.

I'm certain that one could come up with a 1 page equation that would account for a myriad of variables, but the simple understanding fits my level of understanding. Thank you.

FAQ: Maximum Wind Speeds and Atmosphere Loss on Small Planets

1. What is the maximum windspeed limit in the atmosphere?

The maximum windspeed limit in the atmosphere varies depending on the location and altitude. In general, the highest recorded windspeed in the atmosphere was 253 mph (408 km/h) during a tropical cyclone in 1934.

2. How is windspeed measured in the atmosphere?

Windspeed in the atmosphere is measured using anemometers, which are instruments that measure the velocity of wind. These instruments have rotating cups or propellers that spin faster as wind speed increases, and this rotation is converted into a measurement of windspeed.

3. Can windspeed in the atmosphere reach supersonic levels?

No, windspeed in the atmosphere cannot reach supersonic levels. The speed of sound in air is approximately 768 mph (1,236 km/h), and windspeeds exceeding this would create a shockwave, which is not possible in the atmosphere.

4. What factors affect the windspeed limit in the atmosphere?

The windspeed limit in the atmosphere is affected by various factors such as temperature, air pressure, topography, and the rotation of the Earth. These factors can influence the speed and direction of wind flow, resulting in different windspeed limits in different regions.

5. Is the windspeed limit in the atmosphere increasing due to climate change?

There is no clear evidence that the windspeed limit in the atmosphere is increasing due to climate change. However, climate change can affect wind patterns and intensity, which may indirectly impact windspeed limits in certain areas. More research is needed to fully understand the relationship between climate change and atmospheric windspeed.

Back