Maximze power delivered to load (lossless tranmsion line)

In summary, the student is confused about how to find the maximum power delivered to a load. He is trying to do this using the equation for Zin, but is not sure if he is doing it correctly.
nagr

Homework Statement

1zgryg8.png

Homework Equations

Time Avg. Power = [itex]\frac{|V0+|^2}{2*Z0}[/itex] [1-|[itex]\Gamma|^2[/itex]]
for line of l=[itex]\frac{λ}{4}[/itex]+n[itex]\frac{λ}{2}[/itex] (where n=0 here), Zin=[itex]\frac{Z0^2}{ZL}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Bit confused what to do in the 1st part? I know that max. power is delivered to load when Z0=ZL because then there will be no reflection, so |[itex]\Gamma[/itex]|=0 which is obvious from the equation that power is maximized (also my professor explained this). But to prove this, am i expected to take the derivative of the equation for time avg. power, with respect to Z0=Zin=R+jX? I am unsure how to do this, first of all. Also here in this problem (c) Z0 is not same as ZL so power delivered is not maximized. But using the equation above I calculated Zin=12.5+j12.5 from which I found X=12.5 and Rg i assumed was the real part of Zin=12.5. i was wondering though if I did this right so far.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Compute Zin which will be a function of Z0 and θ of the line, and ZL. θ = βx, β = ω(LC)(1/2), and x = physical length of line. See illustration (b).

2. Compute V across Zin. You can assume Vin = 1.

3. Compute I.

4. Compute power P = |V||I|cos(ψ) or Re{VI*}.

5. Find Rin and Xin which maximize P.

V and I are phasors.

the general equation for Zin in my book is Zin=Z0([itex]\frac{zL+j(tan(βl)))}{1+j(zL*tan(βl))}[/itex]) where zL=[itex]\frac{ZL}{Z0}[/itex] but i don't think this helps me much. for problem (b), this is what I did so far: since length of line is a special case l=[itex]\frac{λ}{4}[/itex], i used the equation for Zin I listed and got Zin=12.5+j12.5. so according to figure (b), I thught this would mean Zin in parallel with the shunt element jX, I found the value for X so that the imaginary part would cancel out, so X=-25. this would mean Rg=(Zin||-j25) for maximum power delivery so Rg=25.

Last edited:
ok, my professor explained this to me so obviously i was doing this wrong. If I use the equation he gave me, Pavg=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]Re(V x I*)=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] Re[[itex]\frac{Vg}{Zg+(Rin+Xin)}[/itex]((Rin+Xin)([itex]\frac{Vg}{Zg+(Rin-Xin}))[/itex]] where i substituted Zin=Rin+Xin and use Vg=Vo and I ended up with 1/2 Re[[itex]\frac{Vo^2Rin+jVo^2Xin}{(Rg+Rin)^2+X^2}[/itex]] but I am not very good with math :P so i don't know if i did this right. would appreciate if you could help me out.

I would first clarify any doubts or confusion with my professor or peers. It is important to have a clear understanding of the problem before attempting to solve it.

To maximize power delivered to the load in a lossless transmission line, the line impedance (Z0) and the load impedance (ZL) must be matched. This means that Z0 must be equal to ZL, which will result in no reflection and therefore maximum power transfer.

To prove this, we can take the derivative of the equation for time average power with respect to Z0. This will give us the condition for maximum power transfer. However, it is important to note that this equation assumes a lossless transmission line and does not take into account any losses in the line.

In this problem, Z0 is not equal to ZL, so the power delivered to the load will not be maximized. To find the impedance at which maximum power is delivered, we can calculate the input impedance (Zin) using the given equation and then solve for Z0 that will result in Zin being equal to ZL. This will give us the condition for maximum power transfer in this specific scenario.

It is also important to double check any calculations and assumptions made, as well as to clearly state any assumptions made in the solution. As a scientist, it is crucial to be thorough and precise in our analysis and conclusions.

Related to Maximze power delivered to load (lossless tranmsion line)

What is a lossless transmission line?

A lossless transmission line is a type of electrical cable that has no resistance, capacitance, or inductance. This means that there are no energy losses as the signal travels through the cable.

What is the purpose of maximizing power delivered to the load in a lossless transmission line?

The purpose of maximizing power delivered to the load is to ensure that the maximum amount of energy is transferred from the source to the load without any losses. This is important in order to achieve efficient and effective transmission of electrical signals.

How is power delivered to the load calculated in a lossless transmission line?

Power delivered to the load in a lossless transmission line is calculated using the formula P = VI, where P is power, V is voltage, and I is current. This formula takes into account the voltage and current at the load and does not consider any losses.

What factors affect the power delivered to the load in a lossless transmission line?

The power delivered to the load in a lossless transmission line is affected by the length of the cable, the impedance of the load, and the impedance of the source. Other factors such as temperature and frequency may also have an impact.

How can power delivery be maximized in a lossless transmission line?

Power delivery can be maximized in a lossless transmission line by matching the impedance of the load to the source, using high-quality components, and minimizing the length of the cable. Other techniques such as impedance matching and signal conditioning may also be used to optimize power delivery.