Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution for transport equations

In summary: The normalization constant is the factor that controls the dimensions of the coefficients. It is equal to 1.
Denver Dang
I have to calculate the transport coefficients for the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution. But I'm not sure what distribution I have to use.
As far as I know it should not be the MB distribution for [itex]v[/itex]-space (Velocity) or [itex]E[/itex]-axis (Energy), since that will get me the wrong dimensions in the end. I have to use the distribution per state.

But I'm not sure how this looks. The integral I have to solve, for me getting the electrical conductivity (1st transport coefficient) I need, is given by:

[tex]{{\mathcal{L}}^{\,\left( 0 \right)}}={{\left( \frac{2m}{{{\hbar }^{2}}} \right)}^{3/2}}\frac{{{e}^{2}}\tau }{{{\pi }^{2}}m}\int{\left( -\frac{\partial {{f}_{MB}}}{\partial \varepsilon } \right)}\,{{\varepsilon }^{3/2}}d\varepsilon,[/tex]

at least, again, when trying to calculate the electrical conductivity, which in the end should end up being Drudes formula [itex]\sigma =\frac{n{{e}^{2}}\tau }{m}[/itex].

So basically, not hard. But I have to get the distribution function right.

As far as I know the MB-distribution is given by:

[tex]{{f}_{MB}}\left( \varepsilon \right)=C{{e}^{-\varepsilon /{{k}_{B}}T}},[/tex]

where [itex]C[/itex] is what I need to figure out, since that will determine the dimensions of my coefficients.

According to my book the normalized MB distribution function is:

[tex]\bar{n}=\frac{{\bar{N}}}{{{Z}_{1}}\left( T,V \right)}{{e}^{-\varepsilon /{{k}_{B}}T}},[/tex]

where:

[tex]\frac{{{Z}_{1}}\left( T,V \right)}{{\bar{N}}}=\frac{V}{{\bar{N}}}\left( \frac{2\pi m{{k}_{B}}T}{{{h}^{2}}} \right){{Z}_{\operatorname{int}}}\left( T \right),[/tex]

and [itex]{{Z}_{\operatorname{int}}}\left( T \right) = 1[/itex] in my case.

But I'm not quite sure how to about this? As far as I can see, it's not just inserting the reversed term of this in [itex]C[/itex] - at least not from what I can see. Maybe it's the [itex]V/N[/itex] I'm not sure about.

So, anyone who can give me a clue, or...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your normalization factor should be :

[tex]\frac{{{Z}_{1}}\left( T,V \right)}{{\bar{N}}}=\frac{V}{{\bar{N}}}\left( \frac{2\pi m{{k}_{B}}T}{{{h}^{2}}} \right)^{3/2}[/tex]

The n in the drude law is the number density. i.e. the number of electrons per unit volume. In your normalization constant what is \bar{n}, \bar{N} ? :wink:

The bar over [itex]n[/itex] and [itex]N[/itex] means the "mean" of whatever it is...

But do I know what this is ?
Or at least V/N, or...?

Related to Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution for transport equations

What is the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution for transport equations?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution for transport equations is a probability distribution that describes the distribution of velocities of particles in a gas or liquid. It is based on the principles of kinetic theory and is used to model the behavior of particles in a system.

What is the significance of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution for transport equations?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is significant because it allows scientists to predict the behavior of particles in a system. It is used in many fields, such as thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, and statistical mechanics, to understand the movement and interactions of particles.

What are the assumptions made in the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution for transport equations?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution assumes that the particles in a system are in thermal equilibrium, meaning they have reached a state of constant temperature. It also assumes that the particles are non-interacting, and that their velocities follow a Gaussian or normal distribution.

How is the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution for transport equations derived?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is derived from the Boltzmann distribution, which describes the probability of particles being in a specific energy state. By considering the kinetic energy of particles in a system and applying statistical mechanics, the Boltzmann distribution can be transformed into the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution for velocity.

How is the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution for transport equations used in real-world applications?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution has many real-world applications, such as in the design of gas turbines, analysis of gas flow in pipes, and understanding the behavior of particles in a plasma. It is also used in atmospheric science to model the movement of pollutants and in astrophysics to study the properties of gases in space.