Maxwell equations in quantum mechanics

In summary: Except linear I have taken other courses you have mentioned. Maybe I will study linear algebra and then start with mathematics of QFT. Is that a good idea?
pankajmaurya
Maxwell equations are based on the wave nature of electromagnetism so they can't explain why the electron revolving in Bohr's orbit does not emit radiations.So my question is can't the Maxwell equations be modified according to the particle nature(quanta) of electromagnetism

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this has already happened. Maxwell's equations have been quantised to explain quantum phenomena correctly. (But of course they are no longer of the simple form they were before). I guess you could say that Maxwell's equations gave a clue as to how the quantum world should work. (Similarly to how classical mechanics gave clues as to how the quantum theory should work).
But I don't really know any specifics on the quantisation of the electromagnetic field

BruceW said:
I think this has already happened. Maxwell's equations have been quantised to explain quantum phenomena correctly.

And we call this "quantum electrodynamics" (QED). It has been tested against experiment many many times, with great success.

pankajmaurya said:
Maxwell equations are based on the wave nature of electromagnetism so they can't explain why the electron revolving in Bohr's orbit does not emit radiations.So my question is can't the Maxwell equations be modified according to the particle nature(quanta) of electromagnetism

The Maxwell equations are already able to model particles such as the hydrogen atom in a way that can explain why it doesn't radiate when the orbital is stable. Studies by H. A. Haus, T. A. Abbott, D. J. Griffiths, G. H. Goedecke and P. Pearle clearly show this to be the case.

The difficulty is coming up with a charge model along with a systematic motion that meets all other experimental and theoretical observations. It's not a simple problem.

This web page is a good start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_electrodynamics"

Last edited by a moderator:
jfy4 said:
This web page is a good start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_electrodynamics"
Hi Judah,

Thanks for the quick start link on QED.
But is there any way I can understand the mathematics of QED (starting from the basic model of an atom). I'm interested in learning the theory and my math is just at the undergrad level.

-
Srini

Last edited by a moderator:
sriecewit said:
Hi Judah,

Thanks for the quick start link on QED.
But is there any way I can understand the mathematics of QED (starting from the basic model of an atom). I'm interested in learning the theory and my math is just at the undergrad level.

-
Srini

What level of undergrad? Have you taken linear algebra? All 3 calculus courses? Mechanics I and II? if you have, the main item left is tensor calculus, which is, in general, a straightforward generalization of 3-vectors and matrices; although the physical idea behind using tensors and differential forms is much deeper than I perhaps put on...

The mathematics of QFT relies heavily on linear algebra. If you are familiar with it, things should fall into place over time. Although, like I said, drawing physics and identifying physics from the mathematical framework is not trivial, there are hundreds of threads on this website to testify...

jfy4 said:
What level of undergrad? Have you taken linear algebra? All 3 calculus courses? Mechanics I and II? if you have, the main item left is tensor calculus, which is, in general, a straightforward generalization of 3-vectors and matrices; although the physical idea behind using tensors and differential forms is much deeper than I perhaps put on...

The mathematics of QFT relies heavily on linear algebra. If you are familiar with it, things should fall into place over time. Although, like I said, drawing physics and identifying physics from the mathematical framework is not trivial, there are hundreds of threads on this website to testify...
Except linear I have taken other courses you have mentioned. Maybe I will study linear algebra and then start with mathematics of QFT. Is that a good idea?

-
Srini

FAQ: Maxwell equations in quantum mechanics

1. What are Maxwell equations in quantum mechanics?

Maxwell equations in quantum mechanics are a set of equations that describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields in the quantum realm. They are based on James Clerk Maxwell's classical equations, but they have been modified to account for quantum effects, such as the discrete nature of energy and the uncertainty principle.

2. How do Maxwell equations in quantum mechanics differ from classical Maxwell equations?

In classical Maxwell equations, electromagnetic fields are described as continuous waves. However, in quantum mechanics, electromagnetic fields are quantized and can only exist in discrete packets of energy, known as photons. This leads to modifications in the equations to account for this discrete nature of energy.

3. What is the significance of Maxwell equations in quantum mechanics?

Maxwell equations in quantum mechanics play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields at the quantum level. They have been successfully used to explain various phenomena, such as the photoelectric effect and the behavior of atoms in an external electromagnetic field.

4. Are Maxwell equations in quantum mechanics consistent with other quantum theories?

Yes, Maxwell equations in quantum mechanics are consistent with other quantum theories, such as the Schrödinger equation and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. They provide a framework for understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields in the quantum realm.

5. Can Maxwell equations in quantum mechanics be solved analytically?

Some simplified versions of Maxwell equations in quantum mechanics can be solved analytically, but in general, they require numerical methods for solution. This is because the equations involve complex functions and operators, making analytical solutions difficult to obtain.