Maxwell’s equations for oscillating electric dipole

In summary, the equations for the E- and B-fields of an oscillating electric dipole, after approximations in retarded potentials, do not satisfy Maxwell's equations. The divergence of B is satisfied, as well as Faraday's law, but the other two equations (Gauss's law and the curl of B) do not hold true. This is due to the charge density and volume current density terms present in these equations. Further analysis is needed to show how these equations fail to satisfy Maxwell's equations.
humo90

Homework Statement

How do I show that our equations for the E- and B-fields for the oscillating electric dipole do NOT satisfy Maxwell’s equations?

Homework Equations

After approximations in retarded potentials, we have our E- and B-field as following:

E = -ω2[itex]μ_{0}[/itex][itex]p_{0}[/itex](4∏r)-1sin(θ)cos[ω(t-[itex]\frac{r}{c}[/itex])][itex]\hat{θ}[/itex] (Griffiths 11.18)

and

B = -ω2[itex]μ_{0}[/itex][itex]p_{0}[/itex](4∏cr)-1sin(θ)cos[ω(t-[itex]\frac{r}{c}[/itex])][itex]\hat{\phi}[/itex] (Griffiths 11.19)

Where ω is angular frequency for the oscillating charge moving back and forth, c is the speed of light, r is the distance where E and B are to be calculated, θ is the angle between dipole axis and the distance r, [itex]p_{0}[/itex] is the maximum value of dipole moment, [itex]μ_{0}[/itex] is permeability of free space, t is time, [itex]\hat{\phi}[/itex] is direction in azimuthal angle, and [itex]\hat{θ}[/itex] is direction in polar angle.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got divergence of B is satisfied (2nd eq. of Maxwell's), also, I got faradays law satisfied (3rd eq. with curl of E).

I am stuck in the other two equations:

For Gauss's law (1st eq.) I got div. of E does not equal zero, but maybe that because of the charge density. So, I am not sure whether this equation is satisfied or not, and I do not know how to show that.

Also, the same argument For Curl of B. I got the same result for time derivative of E in addition to an extra component in [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] direction which may be the volume current density term in 4th Maxwell's equation (Ampere's and Maxwell's law).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Umm -they don't? Whose equations?

Related to Maxwell’s equations for oscillating electric dipole

What are Maxwell's equations for oscillating electric dipole?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. Specifically, for an oscillating electric dipole, they describe how the electric and magnetic fields are generated, how they interact with each other and with other charges, and how they propagate through space.

What is an oscillating electric dipole?

An oscillating electric dipole refers to a system in which a positive and negative charge are separated by a small distance and are oscillating back and forth with respect to each other. This can occur in molecules, atoms, or even individual particles, and is responsible for the emission and absorption of electromagnetic radiation.

How do Maxwell's equations relate to electromagnetic radiation?

Maxwell's equations describe the generation, propagation, and interaction of electric and magnetic fields, which are the fundamental components of electromagnetic radiation. These equations show how an oscillating electric dipole can create electromagnetic waves and how these waves can interact with other charges and fields.

What is the significance of Maxwell's equations for oscillating electric dipole in the field of physics?

Maxwell's equations are a cornerstone of modern physics, as they provide a comprehensive understanding of how electric and magnetic fields behave and interact. They have been instrumental in the development of technologies such as radio, television, and telecommunications, and are essential for understanding many fundamental concepts in physics, including electromagnetism, optics, and quantum mechanics.

Are there any practical applications of Maxwell's equations for oscillating electric dipole?

Yes, Maxwell's equations have numerous practical applications in fields such as engineering, telecommunications, and medicine. For example, they are used in the design of antennas, satellite communication systems, and medical imaging technologies. Additionally, these equations have been crucial for the development of technologies such as radar, GPS, and wireless networks.