Maxwell's Equations from EM field tensor

In summary: Thanks for your help!In summary, the conversation revolves around the understanding and derivation of Maxwell's equations from the electromagnetic field tensor. The second formula, which involves indices and partial derivatives, is a set of equations rather than a single equation. The speaker has a few questions about the formula and the method for obtaining Maxwell's equations. The expert suggests eliminating redundancies and considering different cases to simplify the process. The expert also mentions that the formula can be validated by carrying out an exercise or taken as a postulate. There is also a side question about the possibility of unifying two Maxwell's equations into one equation, but the expert is not able to provide an answer for that.
Amentia
Hello,

I have derived two Maxwell's equations from the electromagnetic field tensor but I have a problem understanding the second formula, which is:

[tex]\partial_{\lambda} F_{\mu\nu} + \partial_{\mu} F_{\nu\lambda}+\partial_{\nu} F_{\lambda\mu} =0[/tex]

I have a few questions to help me start:
1) Is the summation convention used which means it is a single equation, or is it a set of equations?
2) Where does this formula come from? Can we derive it from something simple?
3) How should I start to get the Maxwell's equation? For my other calculation: [tex]\partial_{\mu}F^{\mu\nu}=J^{\nu}[/tex] it was clear to me that there was a summation and 4 equations but here I don't know if it is 1, 2, ..., 20 equations?

I have started to replace all the indices by all the possible values but it looks like horrible and I assume there must be some simple method. Since I will never have any correction elsewhere, I hope you can help me there to do that properly.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Amentia said:
Hello,

I have derived two Maxwell's equations from the electromagnetic field tensor but I have a problem understanding the second formula, which is:

[tex]\partial_{\lambda} F_{\mu\nu} + \partial_{\mu} F_{\nu\lambda}+\partial_{\nu} F_{\lambda\mu} =0[/tex]

I have a few questions to help me start:
1) Is the summation convention used which means it is a single equation, or is it a set of equations?
Since none of the indices are repeated in any term, there is no Einstein summation going on here. What you have is a set of equations, one equation for each choice of ##\mu, \nu, \lambda##. That seems like a lot of equations! However, you should be able to show that no information results when any two of the indices take on the same value. (You just get 0 = 0.) Also, you should be able to see that permuting the indices does not give a different equation. (##\mu = 1, \nu = 2, \lambda = 3## gives the same equation as ##\mu = 2, \nu = 3, \lambda = 1##, say.) So, the number of independent equations is actually fairly small.
2) Where does this formula come from? Can we derive it from something simple?
I'm not sure how to answer this. If you already know Maxwell's equations in the usual form, then you can validate this formula by carrying out your exercise. Or, you could take this formula as an expression of a law of Nature which is just postulated.
3) How should I start to get the Maxwell's equation?

I have started to replace all the indices by all the possible values but it looks like horrible.
It's not that bad. After showing that you only need to consider cases where the three indices are different and that permutations of the indices give the same result, there are not that many possible values to look at.

TSny said:
Since none of the indices are repeated in any term, there is no Einstein summation going on here. What you have is a set of equations, one equation for each choice of ##\mu, \nu, \lambda##. That seems like a lot of equations! However, you should be able to show that no information results when any two of the indices take on the same value. (You just get 0 = 0.) Also, you should be able to see that permuting the indices does not give a different equation. (##\mu = 1, \nu = 2, \lambda = 3## gives the same equation as ##\mu = 2, \nu = 3, \lambda = 1##, say.) So, the number of independent equations is actually fairly small.

It's not that bad. After showing that you only need to consider cases where the three indices are different and that permutations of the indices give the same result, there are not that many possible values to look at.

Thank you, I was not sure about the convention, if the indices had to be repeated on each term or only several times in the equation. It makes more sense to me that it is actually a set of equations since I have to find two equations with this... And I have seen that some equations are 0=0 but I was getting lost with the permutations giving me several identical equations. I will try to do that carefully and eliminate the redundancies.

TSny said:
I'm not sure how to answer this. If you already know Maxwell's equations in the usual form, then you can validate this formula by carrying out your exercise. Or, you could take this formula as an expression of a law of Nature which is just postulated.

Of course, but what I ask is: imagine I am asked to find an equation that unifies two Maxwell's equations without knowing it. Is that doable in a few lines? I like to try thinking like the first physicists who developped a theory to understand better the topic.

Amentia said:
what I ask is: imagine I am asked to find an equation that unifies two Maxwell's equations without knowing it. Is that doable in a few lines? I like to try thinking like the first physicists who developped a theory to understand better the topic.
I'm afraid I'm not good with this type of question. (My fault, not yours!)

Ok no problem, it is more a side question, the main question was about the method for deriving the equations.

Related to Maxwell's Equations from EM field tensor

1. What are Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations are a set of four equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in space, based on the work of physicist James Clerk Maxwell. They are essential in understanding the fundamentals of electromagnetism and have applications in many fields, including physics, engineering, and telecommunications.

2. What is the EM field tensor?

The EM field tensor, also known as the electromagnetic tensor or the field strength tensor, is a mathematical object used to represent the electric and magnetic fields in space. It is a 4x4 matrix that combines the electric and magnetic fields into a single mathematical entity, making it easier to describe the behavior of these fields in relation to each other.

3. How are Maxwell's Equations derived from the EM field tensor?

Maxwell's Equations can be derived from the EM field tensor by applying mathematical operations known as the curl and divergence to the tensor. These operations reveal the underlying relationships between the electric and magnetic fields and allow us to express them in terms of their sources, such as charges and currents.

4. What are the implications of Maxwell's Equations from the EM field tensor?

Maxwell's Equations from the EM field tensor have many implications in the study and application of electromagnetism. They allow us to understand the behavior of electromagnetic waves, such as light, and how they interact with matter. They also have practical applications in technology, such as the development of wireless communication and the design of electronic devices.

5. Are Maxwell's Equations from the EM field tensor still relevant today?

Yes, Maxwell's Equations from the EM field tensor are still highly relevant today and continue to be a fundamental part of modern physics. They have been confirmed by numerous experiments and are essential in understanding many phenomena, from the behavior of particles at the subatomic level to the workings of the universe on a larger scale.