McCabe-Thiele Diagram: Murphree Efficiencies & Reboiler Stage

• Thread starter jaxnnux
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of including the reboiler stage when determining the number of stages in a partial reflux distillation using Murphree efficiencies and a McCabe-Thiele diagram. One person suggests that the reboiler stage should be forgotten, while another recommends including it as the first stage. The conversation concludes by suggesting further reading on the topic and stating that the reboiler stage should be included.
jaxnnux
Hello,

I have a question regarding Murphree efficiences and the associated McCabe-Thiele diagram.

In partial reflux distillation, should I include the reboiler stage when stepping down (i.e. determining the # of stages) from the distillate to the bottoms composition? Or should I just use the total number of trays and forget the reboiler stage?

My friend asked a professor this question last semester and he told my friend to forget the reboiler. This doesn't make sense to me because if you do not include the reboiler stage then the diagram suggests the bottoms composition (the one coming from the reboiler) is the composition coming out from the last tray.

Here's the image of my current McCabe-Thiele diagram:
http://img434.imageshack.us/my.php?image=one8xh.jpg

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Having spent 4 years learning how to do this we have completely forgotten. It would seem to make sense to include the reboiler, but your construction just doesn't look right, if we had all the information you were given we could at least put our mind to it more completely.

In conclusio we think you are just about right.

yer , You must include the reboiler...the first step is always the rebolier...see Coulson and Richardson or Geankopolis (mass transfer) .

you shoould use a reboiler stage & counts it one extra so your total tray will become abt the trays calcualted from the graph plus the reboiler tray

You have to include the reboiler.

Related to McCabe-Thiele Diagram: Murphree Efficiencies & Reboiler Stage

1. What is a McCabe-Thiele Diagram?

A McCabe-Thiele Diagram is a graphical representation of the equilibrium stages and operating lines of a distillation process. It is used to determine the number of theoretical stages required for a desired separation and to analyze the performance of a distillation column.

2. How is a McCabe-Thiele Diagram used to calculate Murphree Efficiencies?

Murphree efficiencies, also known as vapor and liquid loading factors, can be calculated from a McCabe-Thiele Diagram by measuring the slope of the operating lines. These efficiencies represent the fraction of vapor or liquid that is in equilibrium with the corresponding stage in the distillation column.

3. What is the significance of the Reboiler Stage in a McCabe-Thiele Diagram?

The Reboiler Stage is the starting point of the operating line on a McCabe-Thiele Diagram. It represents the point at which the liquid feed is completely vaporized into a vapor-liquid mixture. The position of the Reboiler Stage on the diagram can affect the efficiency of the distillation process.

4. Can a McCabe-Thiele Diagram be used to analyze non-ideal distillation processes?

Yes, a McCabe-Thiele Diagram can be used to analyze both ideal and non-ideal distillation processes. However, for non-ideal systems, additional factors such as vapor-liquid equilibrium data and liquid-phase activity coefficients must be considered in order to accurately determine the number of theoretical stages required for separation.

5. How can the Murphree Efficiencies and Reboiler Stage be optimized in a distillation process?

The Murphree Efficiencies and Reboiler Stage can be optimized by adjusting the reflux ratio, feed location, and the number of theoretical stages in the distillation column. Additionally, the use of advanced techniques such as heat-integrated distillation columns can improve the efficiency of the process.