MCK's questions at Yahoo Answers regarding an inexact ODE

• MHB
  • Thread starter MarkFL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, you ask how to find the general solution of the following differential equation:y+3y^7=(y^5+6x)y′.To find the general solution of this equation, we use the integrating factor technique to find an exact equation.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Find the general solution of the following differential equation...?

y+3y^7=(y^5+6x)y′.

Write your solution in the form F(x,y)=C, where C is an arbitrary constant.

Thank you.

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can see my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello MCK,

I would first write the ODE in differential form:

\(\displaystyle \left(y+3y^7 \right)dx+\left(-y^5-6x \right)dy=0\)

Next, let us compute:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left(y+3y^7 \right)=1+21y^6\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(-y^5-6x \right)=-6\)

Hence, we find the equation is inexact. So we look for an integrating factor. To do this, we consider:

\(\displaystyle \frac{(-6)-\left(1+21y^6 \right)}{y+3y^7}=-\frac{21y^6+7}{3y^7+y}\)

Since this is a function of just $y$, we find our special integrating factor with:

\(\displaystyle \mu(y)=\exp\left(\int -\frac{21y^6+7}{3y^7+y}\,dy \right)\)

To compute the integrating factor, we need to compute:

\(\displaystyle \int \frac{21y^6+7}{3y^7+y}\,dy\)

Let's write the integrand as:

\(\displaystyle \frac{21y^6+7}{3y^7+y}=\frac{21y^6+1}{3y^7+y}+ \frac{6}{3y^7+y}\)

The first term is easily integrated, and for the second term, let's use partial fraction decomposition to write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{6}{3y^7+y}=\frac{6}{y}-\frac{18y^5}{3y^6+1}\)

And so, putting all of this together, we find:

\(\displaystyle \mu(y)=e^{-\left(\ln\left|3y^7+y \right|+6\ln|y|-\ln\left|3y^6+1 \right| \right)}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle \mu(y)=\frac{3y^6+1}{y^6\left(3y^7+y \right)}=\frac{1}{y^7}\)

Multiplying the ODE by this factor, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \left(y^{-6}+3 \right)dx+\left(-y^{-2}-6xy^{-7} \right)dy=0\)

Now, it is easy to see that we have an exact ODE. Hence:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\partial F}{\partial x}=y^{-6}+3\)

Integrating with respect to $x$, we find:

\(\displaystyle F(x,y)=xy^{-6}+3x+g(y)\)

Now, to determine $g(y)$, we differentiate with respect to $y$, recalling \(\displaystyle \frac{\partial F}{\partial x}=-y^{-2}-6xy^{-7}\):

\(\displaystyle -y^{-2}-6xy^{-7}=-6xy^{-7}+g'(y)\)

Thus, we find:

\(\displaystyle g'(y)=-y^{-2}\)

Hence, by integrating, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle g(y)=y^{-1}\)

And so we have:

\(\displaystyle F(x,y)=xy^{-6}+3x+y^{-1}\)

And so the solution to the ODE is given implicitly by:

\(\displaystyle xy^{-6}+3x+y^{-1}=C\)

edit: Hello MCK, I saw your message at Yahoo asking me to take a look at another of your questions posted there, however, Yahoo will not let me access the link, nor will it let me post a comment there. As an alternative, you could post the question here in our differential equations forum.

Related to MCK's questions at Yahoo Answers regarding an inexact ODE

1. What is an inexact ODE?

An inexact ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a type of mathematical equation that cannot be solved using conventional methods. It contains one or more terms that are not exact differentials, making it difficult to find an analytical solution.

2. How do you solve an inexact ODE?

There are several techniques that can be used to solve an inexact ODE, such as the method of integrating factors or the method of exact equations. These methods involve manipulating the equation to make it exact or using other mathematical tools to approximate a solution.

3. What are the applications of inexact ODEs in science?

Inexact ODEs have many applications in science, particularly in physics and engineering. They can be used to model various physical phenomena, such as heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and electrical circuits. They are also useful in designing control systems and predicting the behavior of complex systems.

4. Are there any real-world examples of inexact ODEs?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of inexact ODEs. One common example is the heat equation, which is used to describe the flow of heat in a material. Another example is the Navier-Stokes equations, which are used to model the flow of fluids. Both of these equations are inexact ODEs and are widely used in science and engineering applications.

5. Why are inexact ODEs difficult to solve?

Inexact ODEs are difficult to solve because they do not have an exact solution that can be calculated using traditional methods. This is due to the presence of terms that are not exact differentials, which makes it challenging to manipulate the equation and find a solution. As a result, numerical methods or approximations must be used to solve these equations.