MCNPX Fatal error: "electron importances are zero"

Elizabeth Vega
When I run the application, I get an error message. Fatal error electron importances are zero, I can't find what's wrong in the code.

Attachments

• Xray_0.1cmPb_ep1.txt
    7.9 KB · Views: 49
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to physicsforums Elizabeth,

Line 122 is blank and MCNP is interpreting that as end of input, so the lines that set the importance for the cells are never read. Those lines look fine to me. MCNP has a few quirks because the core code dates from the days of mainframes. Blank lines being the section breaks is probably the biggest gotcha.

• Informative
Likes Elizabeth Vega and berkeman

Related to MCNPX Fatal error: "electron importances are zero"

What does the "MCNPX Fatal error: 'electron importances are zero'" message mean?

This error message indicates that the MCNPX (Monte Carlo N-Particle eXtended) simulation has encountered a problem where the electron importances in the defined geometry are set to zero. Electron importances are used in variance reduction techniques to control the statistical weight of particles in different regions of the simulation. A zero importance means that electrons are not allowed to exist in that region, which can cause the simulation to fail.

How can I resolve the "electron importances are zero" error in MCNPX?

To resolve this error, you need to ensure that the electron importances are properly set in all regions of your geometry. Check the input file for the "IMP:e" cards and make sure that none of them are set to zero. If necessary, assign appropriate non-zero importance values to all regions where electron transport is expected or required.

Why are electron importances important in MCNPX simulations?

Electron importances are crucial in MCNPX simulations because they help manage the statistical weight of electrons as they move through different regions of the simulation geometry. Properly setting electron importances can improve the efficiency and accuracy of the simulation by focusing computational effort on regions of interest and reducing it in less important areas.

Can I set electron importances to zero in some regions deliberately?

While it is technically possible to set electron importances to zero in certain regions, it is generally not recommended unless you have a specific reason for excluding electron transport in those areas. Doing so can lead to fatal errors and incomplete simulations. It is usually better to set low, but non-zero, importance values if you want to minimize electron transport in certain regions.

What should I check if I still get the error after setting non-zero electron importances?

If you still encounter the error after ensuring that all electron importances are non-zero, double-check the consistency and correctness of your input file. Verify that all regions are properly defined and that there are no overlaps or gaps in the geometry. Additionally, ensure that the importances are set correctly for all particle types involved in the simulation, not just electrons. If the problem persists, consult the MCNPX user manual or seek assistance from experienced users or support forums.