Meagre cows and future searches

• I
  • Thread starter arivero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future
In summary, the article focuses on the collection of data on searches for scalar resonances at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). The author suggests creating a central place to discuss new collider resonances, specifically those that are probably hadronic rather than fundamental. The article also mentions the possibility of finding super symmetry particles at the LHC, but so far none have been discovered. The author also references a "cow" in the text, which is a metaphor for a promising scientific discovery. Finally, the term "concrete" is used to describe resonances that are definite or statistically significant.
arivero
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
preprints about concrete resonances to be searched in the next run of LHC or future accelerators.
https://arxiv.org/abs/2001.04770 intends to collect available data on searches for scalar resonances at LHC, and I think it could be useful to have a thread to collect such kind of preprints, either for scalar or other particles.

Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't get the "cow" reference although I can tell that it is one, but no harm in establishing a central place to discusses new collider resonances.

Also, I assume that by "concrete" you mean definite or statistically significant, and not made of the aggregate construction material.

I also presume that you mean to include resonances that are probably hadronic, rather than fundamental.

The Large Hadron Collider has the total energy of the known constituent particles but no super symmetry particles have been found.

ohwilleke said:
I don't get the "cow" reference although I can tell that it is one, but no harm in establishing a central place to discusses new collider resonances.

Also, I assume that by "concrete" you mean definite or statistically significant, and not made of the aggregate construction material.

Hmm I got the reference from inside the text

[URL='https://arxiv.org/abs/2001.04770']2001.04770[/URL] said:
Caution is of course mandatory and one should wait for more data,..., but, in this period of ‘meagre cows’ and dramatic strategic decisions, one cannot disdain this emerging hope.

And yep, concrete was intended as adjetive to resonances.

New Simplicio said:
The Large Hadron Collider has the total energy of the known constituent particles but no super symmetry particles have been found.
The constituent particles wouldn't be supersymmetric particles. You can always tune the parameters to make a model just out of reach for the current datasets, even though the overall energy is sufficient.

Likes arivero