Mean Field Theory: Get Book Recommendations

In summary, you are looking for a book which introduces mean field theory, and which has coverage of various lattice models and their mean field treatments.
sridhar
I have just started reading up on mean field theory. Any book you could refer??

Physics news on Phys.org
What books have you read so far? I can think of one book which I would recommend which would be confusing unless you have read more modern books.

I have done upto the mean field treatment for ising model from
"Introduction to stat mech" Chandler which is by no means exhaustive.
I have also read Kerson Huang but again only the Ising model is discussed briefly.
I need a book which deals with few more models in detail.

A-haaa! So you want the Ising model, not mean-field theory in general? Is it possible that your real question is: what is a good introduction to the theory of the Ising model?

For example, if you don't know about coupling from the past you are killing yourself by limiting yourself to mean-field theory!

nono. Not at all. A book which introduces mean field theory. Not at all specific to the Ising model. In fact, I need to see how mean field theory treats Heisenberg and n-potts state(I like calling it that!) models. How it becomes exact for infinite dimensions, etc

Hmm... not sure I can help you there. Is Kenneth Wilson in the house?

Seriously, if you don't know about coupling from the past you won't regret learning about it.

I would love to learn more. The only coupling I know of is nearest neighbour for Ising model. Basically haven't ventured beyon spin 1/2 systems!
I am sure I can find it in a library. I would really appreciate some help with my mean field theory issue. I can't find a book which describes various lattice models and their mean field treatments.

Coupling from the past allows one to obtain a sample from the exact critical distribution, say for the Ising model. The nice undergraduate textbook by Haggstrom, Finite Markov Chains and Algorithmic Applications, London Mathematical Society student texts Vol. 52, University of Cambridge Press, 2002, is basically an introduction to this powerful and amazing technique, which can be used to give reliable Monte Carlo estimates of quantities of interest. There are many eprints on the arXiv which have been inspired by the original paper by Wilson and Propp. (See Fig. 12 in this book for a simulation of the 2x2 Ising model on a 15 by 15 square. If that sounds unimpressive, remember that this simulation uses the exact stationary distribution, not an approximation to it, which basically avoids all the problems of mean-field or whatnot.)

Last edited:

Related to Mean Field Theory: Get Book Recommendations

1. What is mean field theory?

Mean field theory is a mathematical approach used to model and analyze the behavior of large systems of interacting particles, such as molecules in a gas or atoms in a magnet. It simplifies the complex interactions between individual particles by averaging their effects and treating the entire system as a single "mean" particle.

2. How does mean field theory work?

In mean field theory, the interactions between individual particles are approximated by a single effective interaction between each particle and the average effect of all other particles in the system. This allows for the use of simpler mathematical equations to describe the behavior of the system as a whole.

3. What are the advantages of using mean field theory?

Mean field theory is a powerful tool for understanding the behavior of large systems with many interacting particles. It allows for the prediction of macroscopic properties, such as phase transitions, based on microscopic interactions. It is also computationally efficient, making it useful for studying complex systems that would be difficult to analyze using other methods.

4. What are the limitations of mean field theory?

Mean field theory is based on simplifying assumptions and is not always accurate in predicting the behavior of real systems. It neglects important details and fluctuations that may have a significant impact on the system's behavior. It is best suited for studying systems with weak interactions and high symmetry.

5. How is mean field theory used in different fields of science?

Mean field theory has applications in a wide range of scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, and materials science. In physics, it is commonly used to study phase transitions and critical phenomena. In chemistry, it is used to model the behavior of molecules in solution. In biology, it can be applied to understand the dynamics of large populations of organisms. In materials science, it is used to study the properties of complex materials, such as polymers and glasses.