Mean Magnetic Path Length of the Magnetic core of a transformer

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of reluctances for an image given, specifically for the left hand core. The mean path length is calculated to be 1.11 meters, but there is confusion about including the air gap length in the calculation. The conversation also mentions a previous homework problem and suggests using a third region in the middle section for more accurate calculations. The equations for calculating the integral of H and the assumption of continuous B are also discussed. Overall, the conversation provides insight into the process of calculating reluctances and addresses some possible questions or concerns.
janu203
For the Image given, i have to calculate reluctances of air gap and core which depends on respective mean path lengths.
For the left hand core, the mean path length calculated in the solution manual is 1.11 meter . However what I don't understand is that why is the length of the air gap included in calculating mean path length of the core?

Don't we have to subtract the air gap length from the core so that true mean path length of the left core can be calculated?
aPzKq.png

Attachments

• aPzKq.png
    aPzKq.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 2,795
Physics news on Phys.org
A previous homework problem that was posted on Physics Forums along with the discussion might be helpful in answering any questions you might have with the above: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/absolute-value-of-magnetization.915111/ ## \\ ## Also, in the future please use the homework template for any homework questions. The staff has the option of deleting the thread for not using the homework template.

Charles Link said:
A previous homework problem that was posted on Physics Forums along with the discussion might be helpful in answering any questions you might have with the above: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/absolute-value-of-magnetization.915111/ ## \\ ## Also, in the future please use the homework template for any homework questions. The staff has the option of deleting the thread for not using the homework template.
I will be mindful in future but that thread doesn't answer my question either.

And an additional comment: From what I can tell, this method of solution, (see post 2 including the "link" to the Feynman lectures solution), needs an addition which isn't presented in the Feynman lectures, but is necessary when the problem contains a branch like the above. In that case, you need a 3rd region, in the middle section, where ## H_{middle}=H_{left}+H_{right} ##. I think with that addition, the problem should be entirely workable. Also in each of the two gaps, you need ## H_{gap \, left} ##, and ## H_{gap \, right} ##.

Likes janu203
And to answer your question, in ## \oint H \cdot dl ##, for each section of ## H ##, the integral simply involves the approximate path through the material. It's not high precision. In this case, I believe you actually have two separate sections of the path in the material: ## \int H_{middle} \cdot dl +\int H_{right} \cdot dl +\int H_{right \, gap} \cdot dl=NI ## is what the equation reads for the right loop. Similarly for the left loop. That along with ## H_{middle}=H_{right}+H_{left} ##.(The reason for this is that ## B_{middle}=B_{left}+B_{right} ## because the lines of flux of ## B ## are conserved and continuous). ## \\ ## Also: ## \int H_{middle} \cdot dl=H_{middle} L_{middle} ##, etc. ## \\ ## The Feynman type solution also assumes a continuous ## B ## across the gap so that ## H_{right}=B_{right}/\mu ## and ## H_{right \, gap}=B_{right}/\mu_o ##, etc. with ## B_{right} ## being the same in both expressions.

Last edited:
Likes janu203
Charles Link said:
And to answer your question, in ## \oint H \cdot dl ##, for each section of ## H ##, the integral simply involves the approximate path through the material. It's not high precision. In this case, I believe you actually have two separate sections of the path in the material: ## \int H_{middle} \cdot dl +\int H_{right} \cdot dl +\int H_{right \, gap} \cdot dl=NI ## is what the equation reads for the right loop. Similarly for the left loop. That along with ## H_{middle}=H_{right}+H_{left} ##.(The reason for this is that ## B_{middle}=B_{left}+B_{right} ## because the lines of flux of ## B ## are conserved and continuous). ## \\ ## Also: ## \int H_{middle} \cdot dl=H_{middle} L_{middle} ##, etc. ## \\ ## The Feynman type solution also assumes a continuous ## B ## across the gap so that ## H_{right}=B_{right}/\mu ## and ## H_{right \, gap}=B_{right}/\mu_o ##, etc. with ## B_{right} ## being the same in both expressions.
yeah now i can get a feel for it
tx a bundle

Likes Charles Link

FAQ: Mean Magnetic Path Length of the Magnetic core of a transformer

1. What is the mean magnetic path length of a magnetic core?

The mean magnetic path length of a magnetic core is the average distance that a magnetic field travels through the core material.

2. Why is the mean magnetic path length important in a transformer?

The mean magnetic path length is important in a transformer because it determines the amount of magnetic flux that can pass through the core, which in turn affects the efficiency and performance of the transformer.

3. How is the mean magnetic path length calculated?

The mean magnetic path length is calculated by dividing the total magnetic path length by the number of turns in the coil. This can be represented by the formula Lm = L/N, where L is the total magnetic path length and N is the number of turns.

4. What factors can affect the mean magnetic path length of a transformer?

The mean magnetic path length can be affected by the material and geometry of the core, the number of turns in the coil, and the presence of air gaps or other materials in the core.

5. How does the mean magnetic path length impact the design of a transformer?

The mean magnetic path length plays a crucial role in the design of a transformer as it determines the size and shape of the core, the number of turns in the coil, and the amount of energy that can be efficiently transferred. A longer mean magnetic path length may require a larger core size, which can increase the cost and weight of the transformer.