Mean motion of Halleys Comet (question about units)

In summary, Homework Statement Halleys Comet has a mean motion, which is the change in angle per second. You need to use the equation to find this, and the units are in revolutions per day or radians per second.
Deadstar

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find out the mean motion of Halleys Comet using the equation.

[tex]n = \sqrt{\frac{GM}{a^3}}[/tex]

where we have taken the mass of Halleys comet to be negligible compared to the sun, M is the mass of the sun and a is the semi major axis.

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is what unit do I take a to be (i.e AU? m?). Nothing seems to give me an answer that makes sense.

And what units should n actually have? I seem to think it should be in revolutions per day but I'm not quite sure what the above formula is actually giving me. It would seem to be [tex]ms^{-1}[/tex] (or square root of, whatever that means...) if we take a in meters but then I get an answer of around [tex]2.6^10^{-9}[/tex] which is clearly wrong!

P.S. I'm a mathematician which is why I have zero grasp of units...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Deadstar! :smile:

If you put SI units in, you always get SI units out.

As you know, GMm/r2 is a force, ie mass times acceleration, and so has dimensions of ML/T2

So G has dimensions of L3/MT2,

and so √(GM/a3) has dimensions of 1/T, and will have units of s-1. :wink:

tiny-tim said:

If you put SI units in, you always get SI units out.

As you know, GMm/r2 is a force, ie mass times acceleration, and so has dimensions of ML/T2

So G has dimensions of L3/MT2,

and so √(GM/a3) has dimensions of 1/T, and will have units of s-1. :wink:

Thanks tiny-tim.

This is actually what I got as well (not sure where that ms^-1 came from, might have been a mistype...) from using a different formula to derive the units.

So, I'm now getting 2.6x10^(-9) as my answer.

What is this telling me exactly? The change in angle per second? I can't seem to find any info on mean motion except the very small wikipedia link.

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

I'm guessing it's either radians per second or revolutions per second.

I've not seen the formula before … where did you get it from?

tiny-tim said:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

I'm guessing it's either radians per second or revolutions per second.

I've not seen the formula before … where did you get it from?

Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_motion

Although note that, M + m was taken to be just M as the comets mass was negligible compared to the sun.

I should also say that I will then be using the formula in Keplers equation.

[tex]n(t-\tau) = E - e \sin(E)[/tex]

Where [tex]\tau[/tex] is the time of pericentre passage
E is the eccentric anomaly
e is the eccentricity

I'm trying to find E given some time t which I have.

Well, it says it's the "angular rate", ie radians per second, but it gives no references, and I have no idea whether that's correct. :redface:

FAQ: Mean motion of Halleys Comet (question about units)

What is the unit of measure for the mean motion of Halley's Comet?

The unit of measure for mean motion is typically expressed in degrees per day (°/day). This represents the average rate at which the comet moves along its orbit over time.

How is the mean motion of Halley's Comet calculated?

The mean motion of a comet is determined by dividing its orbital period (in days) by 360°. This calculation results in the average number of degrees the comet moves along its orbit each day.

Is the mean motion of Halley's Comet constant?

No, the mean motion of Halley's Comet is not constant. It is affected by various factors such as gravitational interactions with other celestial bodies, outgassing, and the shape of its orbit.

What is the significance of the mean motion of Halley's Comet?

The mean motion of Halley's Comet is significant because it allows us to predict when the comet will return to our solar system. Since the comet's orbit is not a perfect circle, its mean motion can also help us understand and track any changes in its orbit over time.

How does the mean motion of Halley's Comet compare to other comets?

The mean motion of Halley's Comet is relatively fast compared to other comets in our solar system. It has an average speed of 41.3 km/s, which is faster than the average speed of most other comets. This is due to its close proximity to the sun and its relatively short orbital period of about 75-76 years.

Back