Mean squared distance traveled by an unbiased random walker in 1-D?

In summary, the conversation is about random walks and the formula for calculating the expected value and standard deviation of a random walker in 1-D. The person is also curious about the second moment and its relationship to the step size.
CrimsonFlash
Hey!

I've been doing some research on random walks. From what I have gathered, a random walker in 1-D will have:
<x> = N l (2 p - 1)

σ = 2 l sqrt[N p (1 - p) ]

Here, N is the number of steps, p is the probability to take a step to the right and l is the step size.
I was wondering what <x^2> would be. From what I found, it seems to be l sqrt(N) but when I try to use <x^2> = σ^2 + <x>^2 , I don't get l sqrt(N) . I would like to know what <x^2> really is for an unbiased random walk.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In "l sqrt(N)", what is "l"?

mathman said:
In "l sqrt(N)", what is "l"?

l is the step size here.

The second moment is proportional to l^2. In general its main use is as an intermediate to get the variance.

!

Hi there!

It's great to see that you are interested in random walks and have done some research on the topic. To answer your question, the mean squared distance traveled by an unbiased random walker in 1-D is actually <x^2> = Nl^2. This can be derived from the formula you mentioned, <x> = Nl(2p-1), by substituting p=0.5 for an unbiased walk.

To clarify your confusion, the formula <x> = Nl(2p-1) represents the mean displacement of the random walker after N steps, while <x^2> represents the mean squared displacement. This means that <x^2> takes into account both the distance traveled and the direction of each step, resulting in a larger value than <x>.

I hope this helps to answer your question. Keep up the curiosity and good work in your research!

Related to Mean squared distance traveled by an unbiased random walker in 1-D?

1. How is mean squared distance traveled calculated for an unbiased random walker in 1-D?

Mean squared distance traveled is calculated by squaring the distance traveled by the random walker at each step and then finding the average of these squared distances.

2. What is the significance of mean squared distance traveled in 1-D random walk experiments?

Mean squared distance traveled is a measure of how far a random walker has moved from their starting point. It can provide insight into the overall behavior and diffusion of particles in a system.

3. Is mean squared distance traveled the same as average distance traveled in 1-D random walk experiments?

No, mean squared distance traveled is not the same as average distance traveled. Average distance traveled is calculated by finding the average of the absolute values of the distances traveled, while mean squared distance traveled takes into account both the direction and magnitude of the distances traveled.

4. How does the number of steps affect the mean squared distance traveled by an unbiased random walker in 1-D?

The mean squared distance traveled by an unbiased random walker in 1-D increases with the number of steps taken. This is because with each step, there is a chance for the walker to move in either direction, leading to a larger overall distance traveled.

5. Can mean squared distance traveled be used to analyze the behavior of particles in a 1-D system?

Yes, mean squared distance traveled can be used to analyze the behavior of particles in a 1-D system. It can provide information about the diffusion and movement of particles within the system, and can also be used to compare different systems or experimental conditions.