Mean Value Theorem - f(x) = f(a)+(x-a)f'(u)

In summary, if f is continuous in [a,b] and differentiable in (a,b), and if xE(a,b), then there exists u in (a,b) such that f(x) = f(a)+(x-a)f'(u)
rhia
Hi,
If f is continuous in [a,b] and differentiable in (a,b), and if xE(a,b), then there exists u in (a,b) such that
f(x) = f(a)+(x-a)f'(u)

What's wrong if i state :
(i)If f is continuous in [a,b] and differentiable in [a,b], and if xE[a,b]
or
(ii)If f is continuous in (a,b) and differentiable in (a,b), and if xE(a,b)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
usually we write,
f'(u) = (f(x)-f(a))/(x-a) .. (1)

(i)If f is continuous in [a,b] and differentiable in [a,b], and if xE[a,b]
here x can take value of a ..
see what happens to (1) when x takes value of a?

(ii)If f is continuous in (a,b) and differentiable in (a,b), and if xE(a,b)
it is easy to note that if f is continuous in (a,b) then it is continuous in [a,b]
cuz f(a) = lim_{x->a+}f(x)
(we don't bother about x->a-)
similarly,
f(b) = lim_{x->b-}f(x)
(we don't bother about x->b+)

-- AI

In the second case, f may tend to infinity at a or at b. So f being continuous on [a, b] is required.

TenaliRaman said:
it is easy to note that if f is continuous in (a,b) then it is continuous in [a,b]
cuz f(a) = lim_{x->a+}f(x)
-- AI
f(a)=lim{x->a} f(x) is the definition of continuity at a, so this is just assuming what you are trying to show.

If you don't assume continuity at a then f(a) can have whatever value you like, unrelated to the rest of f(x). e.g.
f(0)=1, f(1)=1,f(x)=0 for x in (0,1).

Wong said:
In the second case, f may tend to infinity at a or at b. So f being continuous on [a, b] is required.

in the second case,
f(x) is defined over (a,b) which excludes a and b
so f(a) and f(b) are actually not defined originally and hence cannot be infinity
so i can define continuity extending to both extremities and still the theorem would be true

[Edit]eeps! Wong is right on one thing here
say the function is 1/x and the interval is (0,1) the limx->0+ f(x) would be infinity ... So i suppose we could add a condition that lim x->a+ f(x) and limx->b-f(x) must exist and must be finite... then it is extendible as i said earlier[/Edit]

chronon said:
f(a)=lim{x->a} f(x) is the definition of continuity at a, so this is just assuming what you are trying to show.

No
definition of continuity requires that,
f(a) = limx->a- f(x) = limx->a+ f(x)
(this is a strict necessity)
But if u see what i said in my earlier post, when we talk of an interval like (a,b) i can skip one of the conditions since my viewport now is restricted to interval (a,b) alone.

-- AI

Last edited:
so f(a) and f(b) are actually not defined originally and hence cannot be infinity
so i can define continuity extending to both extremities and still the theorem would be true

In other words, you're assuming f is a function continuous on [a, b]. :-p

There is nothing WRONG with assuming f is differentiable on [a,b] except that it is not as general. The theorem is true even if f is NOT differentiable at a or b.
(Consider the function f(x)= |x| and apply the mean value theorem on [0, 1].)

On the other hand you MUST have f continuous at a and b since the values used in the theorem are calculated there.

For example, if f(x)= x for x NOT equal to 0 or 1 but f(0)= -1, f(1)= 2. Can you find c between 0 and 1 such that f'(c)= f(1)- f(0) ?

Hurkyl said:
In other words, you're assuming f is a function continuous on [a, b]. :-p

Well i did edit my post indicating that fact :biggrin:
Though i am not exactly assuming it :-p

HallsofIvy said:
For example, if f(x)= x for x NOT equal to 0 or 1 but f(0)= -1, f(1)= 2. Can you find c between 0 and 1 such that f'(c)= f(1)- f(0) ?

If I got this right, you can't.

This is because it is not continuous at 0 and 1.

Continuity does not imply differentiability.

When they say it is continuous on the interval, they are saying:

f(a)=the limit, as x approaches a, is equal to f(a). Again, it has been mentionned earlier that the right-hand limit must equal the left-hand limit. That is continuity. It may be continuous on the left or right, but the theorem has mentionned nothing about it, so it shall be excluded in this case.

Feel free to write your own theorem.

FAQ: Mean Value Theorem - f(x) = f(a)+(x-a)f'(u)

What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that for a continuous and differentiable function f on a closed interval [a,b], there exists at least one point c in the interval such that the slope of the tangent line to the graph of f at c is equal to the average rate of change of f over the interval [a,b]. This theorem is important because it allows us to make connections between the derivative of a function and its average rate of change.

How is the Mean Value Theorem used in calculus?

The Mean Value Theorem is used in calculus to prove other important theorems, such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and the Rolle's Theorem. It is also used to solve optimization problems and to prove the existence of solutions to differential equations. In addition, the Mean Value Theorem is used to find the values of functions at specific points or intervals.

What is the formula for the Mean Value Theorem?

The formula for the Mean Value Theorem is given by f'(c) = (f(b) - f(a))/(b-a), where c is a point in the interval [a,b] at which the derivative of f is equal to the average rate of change of f over the interval [a,b]. This formula can also be written as f'(c) = (f(x) - f(a))/(x-a) when the interval is [a,x].

What is the significance of the point c in the Mean Value Theorem?

The point c in the Mean Value Theorem represents the existence of a point in the interval [a,b] at which the derivative of the function is equal to the average rate of change of the function over the interval. This point is important because it allows us to make connections between the derivative and average rate of change of a function, and it can be used to find the values of functions at specific points or intervals.

How is the Mean Value Theorem related to the derivative?

The Mean Value Theorem is related to the derivative because it represents the connection between the derivative of a function and its average rate of change. The theorem states that if a function f is continuous and differentiable on a closed interval [a,b], then there exists at least one point c in the interval such that f'(c) = (f(b) - f(a))/(b-a). This means that the slope of the tangent line to the graph of the function at c is equal to the average rate of change of the function over the interval [a,b].