Mean Value Theorem: Finding xi, eta as Function of x, y

In summary, the problem statement is to find xi and eta or an accurate approximation to them as a function of x and y. I have tried doing this but I am not sure if I am on the right track.
aks_sky
1. The problem statement:

greek letters used here: xi, eta

The Mean Value theorem applied to f(x,y) = sin(x^2 + y^2) implies with a = 0 and b = 0.

sin(x^2 + y^2) = 2 xi cos( xi^2 + eta^2)x + 2 eta cos(xi^2 +eta^2) y

find xi and eta or an accurate approximation to them as a function of x and y.

2. What i have tried doing:

Let f(x,y) and its first order partial derivatives be continuos in an open region R and let (a,b) and (x,y) be points in R such that the straight line joining these points lies entirely within R. Then there exists a point (xi, eta) on that line between the endpoints. So we get

f(x,y) = f (a,b) + f_x (xi, eta) (x-a) + f_y (xi,eta) (y-b)

** I am not sure where to go ahead from here, I would just like an idea as to what i can do to find the answer i don't want anyone to solve it as i would love to solve it but i just want someone to shed some light for me to go in the right direction. THANX for all the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
well, I'm not sure if I'm on the right track with this. i would think of the mean value theorem as a kind of taylor polynomial expansion, where eta and xi represent a number that takes care of the rest of the infinitely many remainder terms. so from here, i would look at the region with center a=0, b=0, and expand about that. since this region contains (0,0), it should contain (0,y) and (x,0) for sufficiently small x and y, arbitrary in this small region.

Hello, Thanx for the reply. I have been trying to solve that problem using taylor polynomials but i do manage to get half way but i still cannot get the right answer. Is there any other way that anyone can suggest. Or do i need to do anything after doing the taylor polynomials.

thanks once again

okay, i was a bit off. i think x and y are fixed and xi and eta are then determined. looking at it, i see no way to solve explicitly. i was thinking maybe choose x and y very small, so that xi and eta are very small so that the cos(xi^2 + eta^2) must be very close to one. you do indicate 'approximation'. also, by symmetry, xi=eta.

sweet.. thanks for that.. i will try that out now and let u know how it goes.

no that isn't working. and eta doesn't necessarily equal xi.

wikipedia says that the only way to do get the mean value theorem to work in two dimensions is to parameterize into one variable and then apply the MVT.

[edit] I get something like: f(x,y)=grad(f(cx,cy)).(x,y)

maybe looking at A.B=|A||B|cos(theta) can give an analytic estimate on c.

[edit2] well...with r^2=x^2+y^2, sin(x)~x+x^3/6, cos(x)~1-x^2/2, and dropping high order terms, i get: c=1/(2r)??

Last edited:
i think this works, but i need to be more careful. see if you can confirm the following:

given: xi=cx, eta=cy for some c in (0,1)

g(t)=f(tx,ty) = sin((tx)^2+(ty)^2)

so by mvt in one variable, g(1)-g(0)=g'(c)(1-0) (no such thing as mvt in two var!)

this equates to: f(x,y)-f(0,0)=grad(f(cx,cy)).(x,y)=grad(f(xi,eta)).(x,y) which is what you have.

let r^2=x^2+y^2

we get:

sin(r^2)=2cx cos((c*r)^2 * x + 2cy cos((c*r)^2 * y
= 2c r^2 cos( (c*r) ^2 )

approximating sin and cos up to third order, what else?

r^2 - r^6/6 = 2c r^2 (1- ((c*r)^2)^2/2) = 2c r^2

dropping c*r^2*((c*r)^2)^2 which appears to be high order, if c~r is on the same order roughly.

we can solve this for c, to get: c=1/2 (1 - r^4/6)

phew, looks like something! maybe simply c=1/2 ?

FAQ: Mean Value Theorem: Finding xi, eta as Function of x, y

What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental concept in calculus that states that for a continuous and differentiable function on a closed interval, there exists at least one point in that interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the slope of the secant line connecting the endpoints.

How is xi calculated in the Mean Value Theorem?

Xi, or the point where the tangent line has the same slope as the secant line, can be found by setting the derivative of the function equal to the slope of the secant line and solving for xi.

What is eta in the Mean Value Theorem?

Eta is the value of the function at the point xi, or the point where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the slope of the secant line.

Can the Mean Value Theorem be used for any function?

No, the Mean Value Theorem can only be applied to continuous and differentiable functions on a closed interval. If a function is not continuous or differentiable, the theorem does not hold.

How is the Mean Value Theorem used in real-world applications?

The Mean Value Theorem has various applications in calculus, physics, and economics. It is used to prove the existence of solutions to differential equations, to calculate instantaneous rates of change, and to analyze the behavior of functions in different intervals.