Mean value with respect to a function f

In summary, the expert provided a solution to problem 1 and stated that the proof was clear. They also provided a solution to problem 2 and stated that the proof was clear.
Akorys

Homework Statement

I wanted to ask anyone willing to check my proofs to two problems, so that I may know if I am making any mistakes or assumptions.
Let the function [itex]f[/itex] be continuous and strictly monotonic on the positive real axis and let [itex]g[/itex] denote the inverse of [itex]f[/itex]. If [itex]a_1\lt a_2\lt...\lt a_n[/itex] are n given positive real numbers, we define their mean value with respect to f to be the number [itex]M_f[/itex] defined as follows:
[tex]M_f=g(\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1} ^{n} f(a_i))[/tex]
1. Show that [itex]a_1\lt M_f\lt a_n[/itex].
2. If [itex] h(x)=af(x)+b[/itex], show that [itex]M_h = M_f[/itex].

Homework Equations

As above, [itex]M_f=g(\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1} ^{n} f(a_i))[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution 1.
Since [itex]f[/itex] is a strictly monotonic function, we must have have either
[tex]f(a_1) \lt f(a_2) \lt ... \lt f(a_n) \text{ or,}[/tex][tex]f(a_1) \gt f(a_2) \gt ... \gt f(a_n)[/tex]
It follows that [tex] nf(a_1) \lt \sum_{i=1}^{n} f(a_i) \lt nf(a_n) \text{ or,}[/tex][tex]nf(a_1) \gt \sum_{i=1}^{n} f(a_i) \gt nf(a_n)[/tex] for each set of inequalities, respectively. Further, these inequalities imply [tex] f(a_1) \lt \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i=1}^{n} f(a_i) \lt f(a_n) \text{ or,}[/tex][tex]f(a_1) \gt \frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n} f(a_i) \gt f(a_n)[/tex] Now we simply consider each case. First, assume that [itex]f[/itex] strictly increases. Then [itex]g[/itex] also strictly increases, and we may apply [itex]g[/itex] to the first set of inequalities above to derive: [tex]a_1 \lt M_f \lt a_n[/tex]
Now assume [itex]f[/itex] strictly decreases. Then [itex]g[/itex] strictly decreases as well. If we apply [itex]g[/itex] to the second set of inequalities above, the inequality signs must reverse since the function is decreasing. Therefore, we derive: [tex]g[f(a_1)] \lt g[\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n} f(a_i)] \lt g[f(a_n)][/tex][tex]a_1 \lt M_f \lt a_n[/tex]
This completes the proof of problem 1.

Solution 2.
If [itex] h(x) = af(x) + b[/itex], then [itex] f(x) = \frac{h(x) - b}{a}[/itex]. We may apply [itex]g[/itex] to both sides to get [tex] x = g(\frac{h(x)-b}{a})[/tex] Let [itex]s(y)=x[/itex] be the inverse function of [itex]h(x)[/itex], such that [itex] y = h(x) [/itex]. Through this we attain: [tex] s(y) = g(\frac{y - b}{a})[/tex] Now we may consider [itex]M_h[/itex]. [tex] M_h = s(\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n} h(a_i))[/tex][tex]M_h = g(\frac{\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n} h(a_i) - b}{a})[/tex] We may write [itex] b = \frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n}b [/itex], which allows us to work with both terms together in the numerator. Combine the denominator into the sum to make the proof clearer. Through this, we may derive: [tex] M_h = g(\frac{1}{n}[\sum_{i=1}^{n}\frac{ h(a_i) - b}{a}]) [/tex] Since [itex] f(x) = \frac{h(x) - b}{a}[/itex] for each [itex] x = a_1, x = a_2, ..., x=a_n[/itex], the sum reduces to [tex] M_h = g(\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n} f(a_i) = M_f[/tex] This is true by definition, and thus completes the proof.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me.

Likes Akorys
Thank you for checking it!

Related to Mean value with respect to a function f

What does "mean value with respect to a function f" mean?

Mean value with respect to a function f refers to the average value of the function over a given interval. It is calculated by dividing the integral of the function over the interval by the length of the interval.

How is the mean value with respect to a function f calculated?

The mean value with respect to a function f is calculated by finding the integral of the function over a given interval, and then dividing it by the length of the interval.

What is the significance of the mean value with respect to a function f?

The mean value with respect to a function f is significant as it provides information about the behavior of the function over a given interval. It can also be used to approximate the value of the function at a specific point within the interval.

Can the mean value with respect to a function f be negative?

Yes, the mean value with respect to a function f can be negative if the integral of the function over the interval is negative and the length of the interval is positive.

How is the mean value with respect to a function f used in real-life applications?

The mean value with respect to a function f is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and statistics. It can be used to analyze data and make predictions about future values of a variable.