Mean, variance of non-parametric estimator

In summary, the nonparametric estimator \hat{f}(x) for a pdf is discussed, with a focus on obtaining its mean and bias, as well as its variance. The mean is found to be f(\xi_n), which may be problematic as it is existential. The bias is also found to be somewhat trivial. Further clarification may be needed from the professor for understanding how to obtain the bias in terms of integrals of f.
rayge

Homework Statement

For the nonparameteric estimator [itex]\hat{f}(x)=\frac{1}{2hn}\sum\limits_{i=1}^n I_i(x)[/itex] of a pdf,
(a) Obtain its mean and determine the bias of the estimator
(b) Obtain its variance

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For (a), I think it goes like this:
[tex]E[\hat{f}(x)] = E[\frac{1}{2hn}\sum\limits_{i=1}^n I_i(x)]=\frac{1}{2hn}nE[I_1(X)]=\frac{1}{2h}P(x_h<X<x+h)=\frac{1}{2h}\int_{x-h}^{x+h}f(x)dx=f(\xi_n)[/tex]

However my professor stated he wants the answer in terms of integrals of f. He doesn't want the answer in terms of [itex]\xi[/itex], as the function [itex]f(\xi)[/itex] is existential. I'm confused about what he is asking for. (I should probably ask him for clarification rather than strangers, but maybe someone sees something in this that I'm missing.) Maybe it has something to do with taking the limit as h goes to 0; but in this case, I think we get [itex]f(x)[/itex], which is somewhat trivial and not really helpful.

As for obtaining the bias, I think I need to find [itex]E[\hat{f}(x)] - \mu[/itex]. Which I also think becomes [itex]f(x) - \mu[/itex], which is also trivial.

I think once I understand the key to this I'll understand how to get part (b), but I'm kind of lost. Thanks for any pointers.

Physics news on Phys.org
hmm. I don't understand your working. Each ##I_i## is going to be centred at a different place, corresponding to each of your data points, right? So each ##I_i## is a different function, so the expectation is not going to be the same for all of them.

Related to Mean, variance of non-parametric estimator

1. What is the mean of a non-parametric estimator?

The mean of a non-parametric estimator is a measure of central tendency that represents the average value of the estimator's distribution. It is calculated by adding all the values in the distribution and dividing by the total number of values.

2. What is the variance of a non-parametric estimator?

The variance of a non-parametric estimator is a measure of spread or variability in the estimator's distribution. It is calculated by taking the average of the squared differences between each value and the mean. A higher variance indicates a wider spread of values in the estimator's distribution.

3. How is the mean of a non-parametric estimator calculated?

The mean of a non-parametric estimator can be calculated in various ways depending on the specific estimator being used. One common method is to use a weighted average, where each value in the estimator's distribution is multiplied by its corresponding weight and then divided by the total sum of weights.

4. What is the importance of the mean and variance of a non-parametric estimator?

The mean and variance of a non-parametric estimator are important measures that help us understand the properties and performance of the estimator. They provide information about the central tendency and variability of the estimator's distribution, which can help us determine how reliable and accurate the estimator is.

5. Can the mean and variance of a non-parametric estimator be affected by outliers?

Yes, the mean and variance of a non-parametric estimator can be affected by outliers. Outliers are extreme values that can significantly impact the average and spread of the estimator's distribution. Therefore, it is important to identify and handle outliers appropriately when calculating the mean and variance of a non-parametric estimator.

Back