Meaning of flush error received from mod-bus slave

• Thread starter Nikhil N
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error
In summary: Wow. I can only guess. Could it be that a buffer got full and the contents were flushed before resuming?I think the only one who can tell you for sure is the software's author.In summary, the "FLUSH" error message might be caused by interference, buffer overflow, or faulty equipment.
Nikhil N
I have a PC(as master) and a compressor(as slave) in modbus communication. I am using 1000ft cable and I want to analyze the interference effect on the data communication error. I am coupling burst signals produced by the relay switching and I could observe the level of burst to be ~50V. When I am coupling this bursts I am getting error messages from slave. The type of error is 'FLUSH'. I need to know what is mean by the flush error
err.PNG

Engineering news on Phys.org
Wow. I can only guess. Could it be that a buffer got full and the contents were flushed before resuming?

I think the only one who can tell you for sure is the software's author.

I don't see anything about Flush in the Exception Codes at the wikipedia page about Modbus:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modbus

What is your physical layer? Doubly-terminated RS-485? How are you coupling the noise into the cable? What cable are you using, and what value of termination resistors are you using?

But good old Google produced this when I searched for "modbus flush"

http://libmodbus.org/docs/v3.0.6/modbus_flush.html

Pretty often, a simple Internet search produces more than posting a question to an online forum.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
I don't see anything about Flush in the Exception Codes at the wikipedia page about Modbus:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modbus

What is your physical layer? Doubly-terminated RS-485? How are you coupling the noise into the cable? What cable are you using, and what value of termination resistors are you using?
I already saw this, but this function is defined if developers are using libmodbus library right? Will that error description be same even if libmodbus library being not used? I didnt see such error definition in modbus.org

anorlunda said:
Wow. I can only guess. Could it be that a buffer got full and the contents were flushed before resuming?

I think the only one who can tell you for sure is the software's author.
So what do you think, can I correct this error by modifying via software means? I mean with the help of developers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nikhil N said:
So what do you think, can I correct this error by modifying via software means? I mean with the help of developers?

I think your evidence is too weak to guess at a remedy. You need to investigate more to find the cause.

Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Last edited by a moderator:
anorlunda said:
I think your evidence is too weak to guess at a remedy. You need to investigate more to find the cause.

Have you contacted the manufacturer?
I am new to this area, what kind of investigation you are suggesting to find the cause? I am not getting the idea

You need to find the people who wrote that "FLUSH" error message and ask them what kinds of things could cause that.

Nikhil N said:
I am using 1000ft cable and I want to analyze the interference effect on the data communication error. I am coupling burst signals produced by the relay switching and I could observe the level of burst to be ~50V.
That sounds pretty ambitious for a newcomer.

It could be "the interference effect on the data communication" is to cause FLUSH errors. :smile:

Seriously, the interference could cause data communication errors which means retries, which causes buffer overflow, which triggers FLUSH. To accomplish the research that you described implies pushing things to the margins. I would think that you need to know everything about the hardware and software, even to the extent of writing all the software yourself. Otherwise, how will you tell the difference between anomalies your research is seeking and faulty equipment?

Likes Nikhil N

Related to Meaning of flush error received from mod-bus slave

1. What is a flush error in mod-bus communication?

A flush error in mod-bus communication is an error that occurs when the master device sends a request to a slave device, but the slave device is unable to respond within the specified time frame. This can happen due to various reasons such as network issues, communication errors, or the slave device being unable to process the request.

2. How can I troubleshoot a flush error in mod-bus communication?

The first step in troubleshooting a flush error is to check the network connection between the master and slave devices. Make sure that the devices are properly connected and there are no issues with the network. If the network connection is fine, then you can try restarting both the master and slave devices. If the error persists, then there might be an issue with the communication protocol or the slave device itself, and further debugging is required.

3. Can a flush error be caused by incorrect mod-bus settings?

Yes, a flush error can be caused by incorrect mod-bus settings. Make sure that the mod-bus settings on both the master and slave devices are configured correctly and are compatible with each other. Any mismatch in the settings can lead to communication errors and result in a flush error.

4. How can I prevent flush errors in mod-bus communication?

To prevent flush errors, it is important to ensure that the network connection between the master and slave devices is stable. Also, make sure that the devices are properly configured with compatible mod-bus settings. It is also recommended to use error-checking mechanisms such as CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) to detect and correct any errors in communication.

5. Is there a way to recover from a flush error in mod-bus communication?

Yes, there are a few ways to recover from a flush error. You can try restarting both the master and slave devices, or you can try adjusting the timeout settings to allow more time for the slave device to respond. If the error persists, then further debugging is required to identify and fix the underlying issue causing the flush error.