Meaning of Symbols in Differential Equation

Here they used a more "formal" notation, often used in physics, to indicate that the right side of the equation depends on x and y but the left side is a "differential form". The first equation is called a "differential equation" and its solutions are functions, often called "integral curves", that satisfy that equation. The second equation is the same as the first except that the right hand side is written f(x, y) rather than M(x, y)dx + N(x, y)dy. The third is the same as the first except that the right hand side is written F(x, y, y', ..., y^n) rather than N(x, y)dy.
paulmdrdo
just want to know what these symbols mean

$\displaystyle M(x,y)\,dx+N(x,y)\,dy=0$

$\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=f(x,y)$

$\displaystyle F(x,y,y'...y^n)=0$

what's M and N and the ordered pair (x,y) mean here.

I don't understand my book. please explain.

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: meaning

LATEBLOOMER said:

Hi LATEBLOOMER, :)

It means that $M$ and $N$ are functions which depend on $x$ and $y$. For example, $M(x,\,y)=4xy+x^2 \mbox{ and }N(x,\,y)=3xy-y^2$.

Re: meaning

LATEBLOOMER said:

There is NO "ordered pair (x, y)". That simply indicates that M, N and f are functions of the two variables x and y.

FAQ: Meaning of Symbols in Differential Equation

1. What is the significance of symbols in differential equations?

The symbols used in differential equations represent different mathematical operations and quantities. They help to define the relationship between variables and provide a concise way to express complex mathematical concepts.

2. What are some common symbols used in differential equations?

Some common symbols used in differential equations include x and y for variables, f(x) for functions, dx and dy for differentials, d/dx for derivatives, and = for the relationship between two expressions.

3. How are symbols used to solve differential equations?

Symbols are used in differential equations to represent the variables, functions, and operations involved in the equation. By manipulating these symbols using mathematical techniques, we can solve for the unknown variables and find a solution to the equation.

4. Can symbols in differential equations have multiple meanings?

Yes, symbols in differential equations can have multiple meanings depending on the context in which they are used. For example, x can represent a variable, a function, or a constant depending on the equation being solved.

5. How do mathematicians choose symbols for differential equations?

Mathematicians often choose symbols based on convention and their own personal preference. However, they also consider the clarity and simplicity of the symbols, as well as their compatibility with other symbols and notations used in the field of mathematics.