Meaning of y-int. on graph of acceleration vs. hanging mass

In summary: This could be something like air resistance, or a spring. The sign of the intercept may be significant, as it would indicate the direction of the extra force.
vetgirl1990

Homework Statement

In an experiment, I measured the effect of mass on the acceleration of a cart, rolling down a leveled air track.

I then graphed acceleration vs. mass (m'), where:
m' = m / (M+m); M = mass of the cart, m = hanging mass, which was increased with subsequent trials.

Homework Equations

m' = m / (M+m)

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation of the line that I got when I graphed this relationship, is y=9.855x-0.017. I am trying to figure out what the "meaning" of y-intercept value means. I know that at the y-intercept, the x-intercept (in this case, the mass m') is zero... but this doesn't make sense in the context of this problem. Doesn't this essentially mean that when mass is zero, then acceleration is -0.017m/s/s?

Theoretically, if mass is zero, then acceleration is zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you think of any sources of error, neglected effects, or characteristics of the equipment that might contribute to this "offset" of the line? Do you think that the sign of the intercept might be significant in any way?

Why not itemize all the parts and pieces that comprise the equipment used in the lab and consider each individually for possible influences? How might such influences show up in the equations of motion if they were included in the mathematical model of the system? Pick out likely candidates for discussion.

Likes vetgirl1990
vetgirl1990 said:

Homework Statement

In an experiment, I measured the effect of mass on the acceleration of a cart, rolling down a leveled air track.

m' = m / (M+m); M = mass of the cart, m = hanging mass, which was increased with subsequent trials.

Homework Equations

m' = m / (M+m)

The equation of the line that I got when I graphed this relationship, is y=9.855x-0.017. I am trying to figure out what the "meaning" of y-intercept value means. I know that at the y-intercept, the x-intercept (in this case, the mass m') is zero... but this doesn't make sense in the context of this problem. Doesn't this essentially mean that when mass is zero, then acceleration is -0.017m/s/s?
Is it nonetheless within experimental error?

Sometimes in a bunch of experimental data there can be just one data point that throws the outcome off-course. Often we don't have the opportunity to repeat the experiment to check the value of that suspect data point, but in the analysis it may be possible to demonstrate that if we omit from our analysis that single out-of-place data point then the outcome of the experiment will meet expectations within experimental error.

Likes vetgirl1990
vetgirl1990 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

m' = m / (M+m)

Theoretically, if mass is zero, then acceleration is zero.

Is y = your m'? Is x = your m? If so, the exact equation is
[tex] y = \frac{x}{x+M} [/tex]
If you attempt to represent this as a simple linear function of the form ##y = a + bx## you will not get very good accuracy, and your "fitting" parameters ##a## and ##b## will not necessarily have any convincing meaning. Not every graph can be well-represented as a straight line.

gneill said:
Can you think of any sources of error, neglected effects, or characteristics of the equipment that might contribute to this "offset" of the line? Do you think that the sign of the intercept might be significant in any way?

Why not itemize all the parts and pieces that comprise the equipment used in the lab and consider each individually for possible influences? How might such influences show up in the equations of motion if they were included in the mathematical model of the system? Pick out likely candidates for discussion.

Thanks for the suggestions! Breaking down the possible sources of error, I think it's most likely systematic error, possibly due to human error of applying force by hand. Given that the y-intercept is supposed to be zero (when m' = 0, acceleration is 0), having an acceleration even when m' is zero indicates that there was another source of acceleration, even without the falling mass.

vetgirl1990 said:
Thanks for the suggestions! Breaking down the possible sources of error, I think it's most likely systematic error, possibly due to human error of applying force by hand. Given that the y-intercept is supposed to be zero (when m' = 0, acceleration is 0), having an acceleration even when m' is zero indicates that there was another source of acceleration, even without the falling mass.
Good, anything else? Maybe some masses or sources of friction that aren't accounted for? How was acceleration measured, by some automatic mechanism or by manual timings? How do you know that air track was perfectly level?

vetgirl1990 said:

So, what is your answer to the questions I asked you in post #4? The issue is pretty fundamental.

Ray Vickson said:
Is y = your m'? Is x = your m? If so, the exact equation is
[tex] y = \frac{x}{x+M} [/tex]
Ray, I believe the plot is accn vs g·m'
i.e., y = kx

NascentOxygen said:
Ray, I believe the plot is accn vs g·m'
i.e., y = kx

I wish the OP had the courtesy to respond.

Related to Meaning of y-int. on graph of acceleration vs. hanging mass

1. What is the meaning of the y-intercept on a graph of acceleration vs. hanging mass?

The y-intercept on a graph of acceleration vs. hanging mass represents the initial acceleration of the system when there is no hanging mass. This value is also referred to as the free-fall acceleration, as it is the acceleration of an object due to gravity alone.

2. How do you calculate the y-intercept on a graph of acceleration vs. hanging mass?

To calculate the y-intercept, you would first plot the data points for acceleration vs. hanging mass and draw a line of best fit. Then, you can use the equation y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept, to solve for the y-intercept value.

3. Why is the y-intercept important in this type of graph?

The y-intercept is important because it gives us information about the initial conditions of the system. In the case of acceleration vs. hanging mass, it tells us the initial acceleration of the system and allows us to make predictions about how the acceleration will change as the hanging mass increases.

4. Can the y-intercept be negative on a graph of acceleration vs. hanging mass?

Yes, the y-intercept can be negative on a graph of acceleration vs. hanging mass. This would indicate that the initial acceleration of the system is directed in the opposite direction of the positive y-axis. For example, if the y-intercept is -9.8 m/s^2, it means that the initial acceleration is downwards, in the direction of gravity.

5. How does the y-intercept change when other variables, such as the length of the string, are altered on the system?

The y-intercept may change when other variables, such as the length of the string, are altered on the system. This is because these variables can affect the initial conditions of the system, including the initial acceleration. For example, increasing the length of the string may decrease the initial acceleration and therefore cause a change in the y-intercept value.