Measurement of e/m for electrons question

This means that the $\frac {e}{m}$ ratio can be calculated as the square of the slope, and the Earth's magnetic field can be calculated from the intercept using equation (A).
azntoon

Homework Statement

Using Equations (A) and (B) explain how to obtain for e/m from the slope of an I vs. [tex] \sqrt{V}/{r} [/tex] graph. Show how to calculate a value for the Earth's magnetic field BE using the intercept of the graph.

Homework Equations

(A) [tex] B_H = \frac{8NI \mu_0}{R \sqrt{125}} [/tex] (B) [tex] \frac{e}{m} = \frac{2V}{r^2 (B_H -B_E)^2} [/tex]

where N=72 turns R=0.33m [tex]\mu_0=4\pi*10^-7 \frac{Tm}{A}[/tex] for helmholtz coil and I measured both current and Voltage

The Attempt at a Solution

I first move the magnetic field to the other side
[tex]\frac{e}{m}(B_H -B_E)^2 = \frac{2V}{r^2}[/tex]

Then I square both sides
[tex]\sqrt {\frac {e}{m}}(B_H -B_E)= \frac {\sqrt {2V}}{r} [/tex]

I then move the qm ratio to the other side and insert equation (A) into it to find
[tex] (\frac{8NI \mu_0}{R \sqrt{125}} -B_E)= \sqrt {\frac {m}{e}} \frac {\sqrt {2V}}{r}[/tex]

let [tex]α= \frac{8N \mu_0}{R \sqrt{125}} [/tex] so then me equation becomes

[tex]αI = \sqrt {\frac {m}{e}} \frac {\sqrt {2V}}{r} + B_E[/tex]

I now have it in a y=mx+b form but when i enter my numbers and graph the equation on excel(ATTACHMENT) I find that my [tex]\frac {e}{m} and B_E[/tex] are off by a factor of 2
I was wondering if I linearized the equation wrong or did I forget to put a another factor into finding the [tex]\frac {e}{m}[/tex] ratio. I tired using both the linest function and least square fit to find the slope and intercept and both are also off by a factor of 2.

Attachments

• electron charge to mass ratio.xls
    40.5 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure if I am missing a step or if I linearized it wrong. I know the numbers I am entering are correct so I am confused as to why this is happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated. A:Once you have it in the form $αI = \sqrt {\frac {m}{e}} \frac {\sqrt {2V}}{r} + B_E$, you can plot $V$ on the $x$-axis and $αI$ on the $y$-axis. The slope of the plot is $\sqrt {\frac {m}{e}} \frac {1}{r}$ and the intercept is $B_E$.

FAQ: Measurement of e/m for electrons question

1. How is e/m for electrons measured?

The e/m ratio for electrons is typically measured using an experiment called the Thomson's tube experiment. This involves passing a beam of electrons through a perpendicular magnetic field and measuring the deflection of the electrons. By knowing the strength of the magnetic field and the voltage applied to the tube, the e/m ratio can be calculated.

2. What is the significance of measuring e/m for electrons?

The e/m ratio is a fundamental property of an electron and is crucial in understanding its behavior in electromagnetic fields. It also played a crucial role in the development of the electron and atomic theories.

3. How accurate is the measurement of e/m for electrons?

The measurement of e/m for electrons has been refined over the years and is now known to be accurate to 1 part in 10 billion. This level of precision has been achieved through advancements in technology and experimental techniques.

4. Can the e/m ratio for electrons vary?

No, the e/m ratio for electrons is a constant value and does not vary. This has been experimentally verified and is a fundamental constant in physics.

5. Are there any other methods for measuring e/m for electrons?

Yes, other methods such as the Millikan oil drop experiment and the J.J. Thomson's charge-to-mass ratio experiment have also been used to measure the e/m ratio for electrons. However, the Thomson's tube experiment is the most commonly used method due to its simplicity and accuracy.

Back