Measuring g, but not knowing the centre of mass - problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of measuring g (gravitational field strength) for a Physics A2 Coursework involving a pendulum. The person is unsure about the location of the centre of mass and whether it will affect their results. They are advised to either do a separate investigation or make an educated guess. It is also mentioned that if the pendulum is a rigid mass, the moment of inertia will also need to be considered. It is suggested to design the pendulum with a longer length compared to the size of the bob. This will decrease uncertainty in the period calculation. Overall, the conversation provides guidance on how to ensure accurate measurement of g in the experiment.
sexysam_short
Hiya!

I'm confused, for my Physics A2 Coursework we're measuring g (gravitational field strength) and I don't know the centre of mass of the pendulum.

Will this affect my experiment and/or results? Should I do something to overcome it?

Please Help!

Sam(antha) xx

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it will. You'll have to do a separate investigation to find the location of the centre of mass. Either that, or make an educated guess. Further, if the pendulum is a rigid mass that rotates about the pendulum pivot, it is actually a compound pendulum, and even the centre of mass won't tell you all you need. You'll need the moment of inertia. (But I can't imagine that the experiment is so poorly designed that you have to worry about these complications.)
You are best off if you can design your pendulum yourself. Then just make sure to make the length large compared with the size of the bob.

Thanks loads! What are the advantages of the length being large compared with the size of the bob?

So, will it be ok if I just basically measure the length of the string that the pendulum is made from?

Consider that the formula of the period is
[tex]T=2\pi\sqrt{l\over g}[/tex]
If the bob is an extended mass of unknown composition 1 cm in size and the string is 1m long, the length to the c.of.m is 1.005m plus or minus 5mm. So the length [itex]l[/itex] can be thought of as uncertain by the bob size, 0.5% in the case of the example I just gave. This makes the period uncertain by .25%. If the bob was 10cm in size, the period uncertainty would be 2.5%.

That makes loads of sense! Thank you lots again!

FAQ: Measuring g, but not knowing the centre of mass - problem?

1. What is the purpose of measuring g?

The purpose of measuring g is to determine the acceleration due to gravity at a specific location. This value is important in physics and engineering calculations.

2. How is g typically measured?

Traditionally, g is measured using a pendulum or a free-falling object. The time it takes for the pendulum to swing or the object to fall is used to calculate the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the center of mass and why is it important?

The center of mass is the point where the mass of an object is evenly distributed. It is important in physics because it helps determine the stability and motion of an object.

4. How does not knowing the center of mass affect the measurement of g?

If the center of mass is not known, the measurement of g may be inaccurate. This is because the motion of an object may be affected by its distribution of mass, and without knowing the center of mass, the true acceleration due to gravity cannot be determined.

5. Are there any alternative methods for measuring g without knowing the center of mass?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as using an Atwood machine or a ballistic pendulum. These methods do not require knowledge of the center of mass and can still accurately measure g.