Measuring g with Physical Pendulum Time Period (T)

In summary, the conversation discusses using a measurement of T(x) to determine the value of g. The equation T^2 = 4pi (1/2a^2 + x^2)/(gx) is mentioned as a starting point, and it is suggested to plot a graph of T^2 vs. x to find the value of g. The equation is rearranged to be in the form Y=MX+C for easier graphing. The conversation also clarifies the equation and addresses any confusion.
bon

Homework Statement

Ok worked out the time period of a physical pendulum (T) to be (in terms of constant a, and variable length x):

T^2 = 4pi (1/2a^2 + x^2)/(gx)

Now asked how i could use a measurement of T(x) to measure g.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess i have to vary x and measure T and plot some sort of graph, but given the relation above I can't see what the easiest way to determine g would be...

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Normally, if you have to plot a graph to get 'g', you'd try as best as you could to make the equation into the form Y=MX+C.

Eg. T2=4π2(L/g), you write this as T2=(4π2/g)L

So that Y=T2 and X=L, plot Y vs. X.

Thanks but I knew this - I'm just not sure how to do this in this case..

[tex]T^2 = 4 \pi \frac{\frac{1}{2}a^2 + x^2}{(gx)} [/tex]

[tex]T^2 =\frac{4 \pi}{g} \frac{\frac{1}{2}a^2 + x^2}{x} [/tex]

Thanks but you still have the x at the bottom..

I meant X=((1/2)a2+x2)/x

Oh rite i see. Thanks

Related to Measuring g with Physical Pendulum Time Period (T)

1. What is a physical pendulum?

A physical pendulum is a rigid object that is capable of oscillating around a pivot point due to the force of gravity.

2. How is g related to the time period of a physical pendulum?

According to the formula T = 2π√(I/mgd), where T is the time period, I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the pendulum, and d is the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass, g is directly proportional to the time period.

3. How do you measure the time period of a physical pendulum?

The time period can be measured by using a stopwatch to record the time it takes for the pendulum to make a certain number of swings, then dividing that time by the number of swings to get the average time period.

4. Can the time period of a physical pendulum be used to determine the value of g?

Yes, by rearranging the formula T = 2π√(I/mgd) to solve for g, the value of g can be determined using the measured time period, moment of inertia, and mass of the pendulum.

5. What are some sources of error when measuring g with a physical pendulum time period?

Some potential sources of error include inaccurate measurements of the pendulum's length or mass, air resistance affecting the pendulum's motion, and human error in recording the time period or number of swings.