Measuring mass flow rate into engine

In summary, the person needs a way to measure the mass flow rate into a motorcycle engine on a test stand. They have two ideas: building a venturi and using a MAF, but they are unsure of how to implement the MAF option. They are open to other ideas and information, such as using a hot wire anemometer or an OBDII engine management system with a mass air flow meter.
joman2055
I have a motorcycle engine on a test stand and I need a way to measure the mass flow rate into the engine. It is currently carburated.

I had two ideas off the top of my head.

1) build a venturi, and measure the pressure drop to figure out the velocity and therefore the mass flow rate. This requires a bit more intensive fabrication.

2) hook up a MAF and measure the output voltage (usually from 0-5v). I like this option but I am not exactly sure how to do this and figure where to get the info for what voltage the MAF puts out for what CFM (the transfer function)

Any ideas or info would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hot wire anemometer and a tube. Many of them can calculate volume flow directly.

Any obdII engine management system that uses a mass air flow meter reports the inlet temp and mass of air.

If you can supply the crank reference signal the ecu requires and connect a maf, you should be able to use a usb based obdII cable to read the values.

Related to Measuring mass flow rate into engine

1. What is mass flow rate?

Mass flow rate is the amount of mass that flows through a given area per unit time. In the context of measuring it into an engine, it refers to the amount of fuel and air that enters the engine per unit time.

2. How is mass flow rate into an engine measured?

Mass flow rate into an engine is typically measured using a flow meter or a mass air flow sensor. These devices use various techniques such as pressure differential, thermal properties, or ultrasonic waves to accurately measure the mass flow rate.

3. Why is it important to measure mass flow rate into an engine?

The mass flow rate into an engine is directly related to the amount of power and efficiency of the engine. By accurately measuring and controlling the mass flow rate, engineers can optimize the engine's performance and ensure proper fuel consumption.

4. What factors can affect the mass flow rate into an engine?

The mass flow rate into an engine can be affected by various factors such as the engine's speed, load, air density, and temperature. Changes in these factors can alter the amount of fuel and air that enters the engine, resulting in changes in the mass flow rate.

5. How can the mass flow rate into an engine be manipulated?

The mass flow rate into an engine can be manipulated by adjusting the fuel injection system, intake air pressure, and temperature. By carefully controlling these variables, engineers can optimize the mass flow rate and improve the engine's performance and efficiency.