Measuring motor current on different leads

In summary: Different servos might require different voltages and there is no guarantee that the voltages used on the controller will be suitable for the servo.
kolleamm
Let's say I have a simple small DC motor. If I measure the current by putting two multimeter leads on the positive will it be a different value then if I were to measure it on the negative?

My guess is that the current measured on the negative lead will be lower because the energy used in turning the motor will not reach the negative. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
The current will be the same wherever you measure it in the circuit.

The motor energy comes from the electric and magnetic fields made by moving electrons, not from the consumption of electrons in the motor.

Great! Basically here's what I'm trying to figure out. I have a servo controller, each servo channel has 3 pins, positive,negative, and signal.
The board can only handle about 20 amps, however the servos will use way more than that, so I was told to connect them to an external power supply, but I must connect the negative and signal wire for each servo to the controller.

If I run all the servos and they exceed 20 amps will the board be affected with only the negative and signal wire connected?

I've been told it should work but nobody has really said why.

Thanks!

kolleamm said:
I have a servo controller, each servo channel has 3 pins, positive,negative, and signal.
Are those inputs or outputs?
Please link to the data for your make and model of servo controller and motor.

kolleamm said:
Let's say I have a simple small DC motor.
Let's now say that you have a servo with built in electronics. The electronics and motor are powered by the + and – rails. The duty cycle of the signal sets the position that the electronics will hold the servo.

Disconnecting either supply will stop the servo electronics balancing the position. The servo might then run one way against the stop. You need to experiment to see what will happen when one or both rails are disconnected. There is a possibility that the servo signal input might overload the controller signal output if the supply to the servo was not intact.

To stop the servo you should disconnect the signal and one supply rail.

I have tested a high torque servo with just the ground and signal connected to the board while the servos ground and power were connected to a battery and it worked great. My only fear was that the high amp amount was going through the signal wire too but then again if it was there would be no way for the controller to give the servo a position.
I'd like to run about 10 of these servos which would set the amp amount way higher than the board can handle but I'm guessing as long as the positive cable is not connected to the controller it won't affect it.

kolleamm said:
I'd like to run about 10 of these servos which would set the amp amount way higher than the board can handle but I'm guessing as long as the positive cable is not connected to the controller it won't affect it.
Correct. The controller and servo share the ground connection and need similar positive supply voltages.
There is no voltage threshold or impedance specified for the digital PWM input signal to the servo.
It is hard to know just what will happen with slightly different supply voltages.

Likes kolleamm

Related to Measuring motor current on different leads

1. What is the purpose of measuring motor current on different leads?

The purpose of measuring motor current on different leads is to determine the amount of electrical current flowing through each lead, which can provide valuable information about the performance and health of the motor. This can help identify any potential issues or abnormalities and allow for maintenance or repairs to be conducted before they become more serious.

2. How is motor current measured on different leads?

Motor current can be measured using a multimeter or clamp meter. The meter is connected in series with the lead being measured, and the current reading is displayed on the meter's screen. It is important to follow proper safety precautions when measuring motor current, as it can be dangerous to work with electricity.

3. What factors can affect motor current readings on different leads?

Several factors can affect motor current readings on different leads, including the type of motor, the load on the motor, and any potential issues with the motor such as worn bearings or faulty wiring. The quality of the connections and the accuracy of the measuring device can also impact the readings.

4. How can motor current readings on different leads be interpreted?

The interpretation of motor current readings on different leads depends on the specific circumstances and the type of motor being measured. In general, a higher current reading may indicate a heavy load or a potential issue with the motor, while a lower reading may suggest a lighter load or more efficient performance. It is important to compare the readings to previous measurements and the manufacturer's specifications for the motor.

5. How often should motor current on different leads be measured?

The frequency of motor current measurements on different leads will vary depending on the specific application and usage of the motor. In general, it is recommended to measure motor current periodically, such as during routine maintenance checks, and also when any changes or issues are suspected with the motor's performance. The manufacturer's recommendations should also be considered when determining the appropriate frequency of measurements.