Measuring photon polarization and finding observable operator

In summary, the conversation discusses an apparatus that measures polarized photons and has three properties. The first two properties involve linearly polarized photons at specific angles, which display values of 2 and 3. The third property involves all other polarizations and displays values of 2 or 3 with random probabilities. The eigenvalues and eigenstates for the apparatus are 2 and 3, and the matrices of the operator A can be found using the two eigenstates. The third property does not have specific values in the matrix and only determines a general vector in R^2.
doublemint
An apparatus has these properties when measuring a polarized photon:
-whenever a linearly polarized photon at angle [tex]\vartheta[/tex] enters apparatus, it displays "2"
-whenever a linearly polarized photon at angle [tex]\frac{pi}{2}+\vartheta[/tex] enters apparatus, it displays "3"
-for all other polarizations other than above, it displays 2 or 3 with random probabilities.
1. Find the eigenvalues and eigenstates.
2.Find the matrices of of operator A in its eigenbasis and |H> |v> basis.

So for part 1, I believe the eigenvalues are 2 and 3. Then the eigenstates are |[tex]\vartheta[/tex]><[tex]\vartheta[/tex]| and |[tex]\frac{pi}{2}+\vartheta[/tex]><[tex]\frac{pi}{2}+\vartheta[/tex]|.
However, I am not sure how to find the eigenvalues and eigenstates for the third property of the apparatus. I probably has to do with the same eigenvalues but the states I am not sure of.
As for part 2, I do not understand it.
So any help would be appreciated!
Thank You
DoubleMint

Physics news on Phys.org
those aren't the eigenstates what you wrote down those are projection operators. The eigenstates are simply

[tex] \left| \theta \right\rangle , \left| \theta +\frac{\pi}{2} \right\rangle [/tex]

whilst the third property is simply linear combinations of the two states

[tex]\Psi = \alpha \left| \theta \right\rangle + \alpha' \left| \theta +\frac{\pi}{2} \right\rangle [/tex]

where

[tex] \left|\alpha \right| ^2 + \left|\alpha' \right| ^2 = 1 [/tex]

the matrix of an operator is given by

[tex] A_{ij} = \sum_{i,j=1}^{number of sates} \left\langle \psi_i \right| \hat{A} \left| \psi_j \right\rangle [/tex]

Thanks for the reply sgd37. Now, how do i incorporate the third property into the matrix operator?

you only need the eigenbasis to define the matrix operator. Is that what you meant

sgd37 said:
you only need the eigenbasis to define the matrix operator. Is that what you meant

No, I mean how do you find the values associated with the linear combination of the third property in the operator matrix. I can find the values for projection operators of [tex]\vartheta[/tex] and [tex]\frac{pi}{2}\vartheta[/tex] which should be 2 and 3 respectively.

There are no values in the matrix associated with the linear combinations. And there is no way of predetermining the states

For the two states you can determine the operator matrix

[tex] A= \begin{pmatrix}

2&0\\
0&3 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

for which the eigenvectors are

[tex] \left| \theta \right\rangle = \begin{pmatrix} 1\\ 0 \end{pmatrix} , \left| \theta +\frac{\pi}{2} \right\rangle = \begin{pmatrix} 0\\ 1 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

the linear combinations just determine a general vector in [tex] R^2 [/tex]

I never knew that...interesting. Thanks a lot sgd37!

Related to Measuring photon polarization and finding observable operator

1. What is photon polarization and why is it important to measure?

Photon polarization refers to the orientation of the electric field of a photon. It is important to measure because it provides information about the quantum states of a photon and can be used in applications such as quantum communication and imaging.

2. How is photon polarization measured?

Photon polarization can be measured using various techniques, such as polarizers, waveplates, and interferometers. These methods involve manipulating the photon's polarization state and then measuring the resulting changes in its properties.

3. What is an observable operator and how is it related to photon polarization?

An observable operator is a mathematical object used to represent a physical observable, such as polarization, in quantum mechanics. In the case of photon polarization, observable operators are used to describe the different polarization states of a photon.

4. What are the challenges in measuring photon polarization?

One of the main challenges in measuring photon polarization is the delicate nature of photons, which can easily be affected by external factors. This requires careful control and calibration of experimental setups to ensure accurate measurements. Another challenge is the need for specialized equipment and techniques, which can be costly and time-consuming.

5. How can the results of measuring photon polarization be interpreted?

The results of measuring photon polarization can be interpreted using the principles of quantum mechanics, which describe the probabilistic nature of quantum states. This involves using mathematical tools such as quantum states, operators, and probabilities to analyze and understand the measured data.