Measuring the electrical conductivity of the atmosphere

In summary, the conversation revolves around a person trying to find a way to test the electrical conductivity/resistivity of the atmosphere at different altitudes using a NASA weather balloon. They have tried using a leaky capacitor design and an operational amplifier with an inverting configuration, but have not been able to get a stable reading due to the small scale of the output signal (femtoamps). They are seeking advice on alternative methods for measuring such small currents without using an op amp. Some suggestions include using Keithley devices or individual transistors, but it is noted that these may exceed the 1 kg payload allowance. Several links to resources and examples of successful techniques are provided.
navaugh
I am trying to devise a way to test the electrical conductivity/resistivity of the atmosphere through rising altitudes. The platform for the experiment is a NASA weather balloon with the allowance of a 1 kg payload. I have started by creating a sort of leaky capacitor design which involves the collection of charge on two parallel plates spaced closely together. The problem is getting a measurable reading. The output signal at this point will be on the scale of femtoamps. This requires the use of an operational amplifier with an inverting configuration. Unfortunately after months of working with op amps of various sensitivities, I still can't get a stable reading. The signal either rails or has no gain at all. I'm afraid my skill level for working with circuitry is what is lacking here. Does anyone have ideas for getting a reading without using an op amp? I admit I'm in over my head here, but I'm not ready to give up!

Physics news on Phys.org
How have others solved the problem of measuring femptoamperes? To answer this I used Google, search term "measuring femptoampres" and found many examples of a variety of techniques used successfully. A few examples are:
http://www.tmworld.com/design/other/4381004/Femtoamp-fA-measurements
http://www.acminstruments.com/datasheets/FemtoAmp%20Datasheet.pdf
http://ip565bfb2a.direct-adsl.nl/datasheets/Application-notes/measuringnanoamperes.pdf

Since in the last example four operational amplifiers (LTC1222) are used to give a gain=200,000 it seems to me unlikely you can measure such small currents without using operational amplifiers.

Edit: By the way, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Last edited:
navaugh said:
I am trying to devise a way to test the electrical conductivity/resistivity of the atmosphere through rising altitudes. The platform for the experiment is a NASA weather balloon with the allowance of a 1 kg payload. I have started by creating a sort of leaky capacitor design which involves the collection of charge on two parallel plates spaced closely together. The problem is getting a measurable reading. The output signal at this point will be on the scale of femtoamps. This requires the use of an operational amplifier with an inverting configuration. Unfortunately after months of working with op amps of various sensitivities, I still can't get a stable reading. The signal either rails or has no gain at all. I'm afraid my skill level for working with circuitry is what is lacking here. Does anyone have ideas for getting a reading without using an op amp? I admit I'm in over my head here, but I'm not ready to give up!

Welcome to the PF.

In addition to the useful links posted by Bobbywhy, check out the Keithley website. They are the largest manufacturer of PicoAmmeters, I believe:

http://www.keithley.com/knowledgecenter

I've used their instruments here at work, and I believe they have a useful application hints manual somewhere on their website.

There are a lot of things to get right when measuring such small currents. You might consider doing your conductance measurement at some moderate AC frequency, to avoid having to deal with DC issues and leakages...

On the Keithley web page that I linked above, I think this is the handbook I was remembering:

"Low Level Measurements Handbook: Precision DC Current, Voltage, and Resistance Measurements (6th edition: 2004)"

The link to it is in the middle of the right border of the page.

Keithley devices are good, but I think they all exceed the 1kg-restriction (Keithley 487 -> 5kg, for example). I think some current amplification will be necessary.
Did you try individual transistors instead of op amps?

Related to Measuring the electrical conductivity of the atmosphere

1. What is electrical conductivity and how is it measured in the atmosphere?

Electrical conductivity is the measure of a material's ability to conduct electricity. In the atmosphere, it is primarily caused by charged particles called ions. To measure electrical conductivity in the atmosphere, scientists use instruments called ionospheric sounders or magnetometers. These instruments send out electromagnetic waves and measure the amount of distortion caused by the ions in the atmosphere, which can then be used to calculate the conductivity.

2. Why is measuring electrical conductivity important for atmospheric research?

Measuring electrical conductivity in the atmosphere can provide valuable information about the state of the ionosphere, which plays a crucial role in atmospheric processes such as weather and climate. It can also help in understanding the effects of solar activity and space weather on Earth's atmosphere. Additionally, changes in electrical conductivity can indicate the presence of pollutants or other atmospheric disturbances.

3. How does electrical conductivity vary in different parts of the atmosphere?

The electrical conductivity of the atmosphere varies greatly depending on altitude, location, and time of day. In the lower atmosphere, conductivity is mainly influenced by the presence of water vapor and aerosols. In the upper atmosphere, it is mostly affected by solar radiation and geomagnetic activity. Conductivity also varies between day and night, with higher values during the day due to the presence of solar radiation.

4. Can electrical conductivity be used to predict weather patterns?

While electrical conductivity measurements can provide valuable information about the state of the atmosphere, it is not directly used for weather prediction. However, changes in conductivity can indicate the presence of atmospheric disturbances that may affect weather patterns. Therefore, it can be used as a tool in conjunction with other atmospheric measurements to improve weather forecasting.

5. How does human activity affect the electrical conductivity of the atmosphere?

Human activity can have both direct and indirect effects on the electrical conductivity of the atmosphere. Directly, the release of pollutants such as sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides can increase the number of ions in the atmosphere, leading to changes in conductivity. Indirectly, human-caused climate change can also impact conductivity by altering the composition and behavior of the atmosphere. Further research is needed to fully understand the extent of these effects.