Measuring the wavelength and position of a photon

In summary, the conversation discussed solving for the minimum uncertainty in the position of a photon given a wavelength measurement with an accuracy of one part in a million. The approach involved using the relationships between wavelength, energy, and momentum for a photon, and eventually obtaining an expression for the minimum uncertainty in position.
zing478

Homework Statement

A wavelength measurement gives Lambda= 6000 x 10^-10m with an accuracy of one part in a million. What is the minimum uncertainty in the position of the photon?

Homework Equations

deltaP*deltaX > h/4pi

p = h/lambda

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to solve, I know deltaP has to be expressed in terms of deltaLambda. Delta lambda is (6000 x 10^-10)(1 x 10^-6) = 6 x 10^-13.

delta P = dp/dLambda * deltaLambda

I'm not sure how to solve this relationship to get an expression for deltaLambda, to plug back into the original

deltaX > h/(4pi)(deltaP)

Once I get the expression for momentum in terms of lambda, I think I just sub it back in and solve for deltaX.

Any help? or have I done anything wrong so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok - One has [itex]\Delta\lambda[/itex], from which one can obtain [itex]\Delta[/itex]E.

What is the relationship between E and p for a photon?

Well, E = hc/[tex]\lambda[/tex]

From de Broglies wavelength equation,
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = h/p

so here [tex]\Delta[/tex]E=[tex]\Delta[/tex]pc

So to find the uncertainty in position, I have [tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\lambda[/tex], change that to [tex]\Delta[/tex]E. From there I can get [tex]\Delta[/tex]p, and

[tex]\Delta[/tex]x = h/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex]p

Where [tex]\Delta[/tex]x is the minimum uncertainty in position?

Does that make sense?

Yes. That would do it.

Thanks for the help!

Related to Measuring the wavelength and position of a photon

1. What is the wavelength of a photon?

The wavelength of a photon is the distance between two consecutive crests or troughs in its electromagnetic wave. It is typically measured in nanometers (nm) or meters (m). The wavelength of a photon can vary depending on its energy level.

2. How is the wavelength of a photon measured?

The wavelength of a photon can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as diffraction grating or interferometry. These methods involve passing the photon through a material or medium that causes it to diffract, creating a pattern that can be measured and used to calculate the wavelength.

3. What factors can affect the wavelength of a photon?

The wavelength of a photon is primarily determined by its energy level, which is determined by its frequency. Factors that can affect the frequency and therefore the wavelength of a photon include the source of the photon, such as a laser or a heated object, and the medium through which it is traveling.

4. How does the position of a photon affect its wavelength?

The position of a photon does not affect its wavelength. The wavelength of a photon is determined by its energy level and is independent of its position. However, the position of a photon can affect its intensity and direction of travel.

5. Can the wavelength and position of a photon be measured simultaneously?

No, the wavelength and position of a photon cannot be measured simultaneously. This is because measuring the position of a photon involves absorbing it, which changes its energy level and therefore its wavelength. However, both the wavelength and position of a photon can be measured accurately using different techniques.