Measuring wavelength of microwave radiation using double slits

In summary, when theangle was found, they did not account for the uncertainty. I guess this is allowed still since the sine of the angle will still be greater than 1, correct?
member 731016
Homework Statement
Pls see below
Relevant Equations
Pls see below
For this problem,
1678317760647.png

The solution is,
1678317783186.png

However, when they found the angle, they did not account for the uncertainty. I guess this is allowed still since the sine of the angle will still be greater than 1, correct?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Callumnc1 said:
However, when they found the angle, they did not account for the uncertainty. I guess this is allowed still since the sine of the angle will still be greater than 1, correct?
Would accounting for the uncertainty bring the value of the sine to less than 1? What do you think?

Likes member 731016
kuruman said:
Would accounting for the uncertainty bring the value of the sine to less than 1? What do you think?
Thank you for your reply @kuruman!

No it would not. Is that the justification they made for not accounting for the uncertainty?

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
No it would not. Is that the justification they made for not accounting for the uncertainty?
I don't know. I can't speak for them.

Likes member 731016
kuruman said:
I don't know. I can't speak for them.
Thank you for your reply @kuruman!

Oh, is that the justification you would make then?

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
Oh, is that the justification you would make then?
Nope. It would be the justification you provided in post #3.

Likes member 731016
kuruman said:
Nope. It would be the justification you provided in post #3.
Thank you for your help @kuruman!

Sorry, I meant to the justification in post #3.

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
A few additional thoughts…

Assume that the ±5% uncertainty determines the allowed range of ##\lambda##. Then ##\lambda## must be between 0.95 cm and 1.05 cm.

(Though note that if ‘5%’ is a standard deviation, then ##\lambda## can be outside this range.)

The smallest possible value of ##\sin \theta_{bright}## (for m=1) is determined by the smallest possible value of ##\lambda##. So, IMO, the model-answer calculation should have been done using ##\lambda## = 0.95 cm rather than ##\lambda## =1.00cm.

But really, no calculation is needed. It is not difficult to argue that the formation of any bright fringes is not physically possible if ##\lambda \gt d##.

Likes member 731016
Steve4Physics said:
A few additional thoughts…

Assume that the ±5% uncertainty determines the allowed range of ##\lambda##. Then ##\lambda## must be between 0.95 cm and 1.05 cm.

(Though note that if ‘5%’ is a standard deviation, then ##\lambda## can be outside this range.)

The smallest possible value of ##\sin \theta_{bright}## (for m=1) is determined by the smallest possible value of ##\lambda##. So, IMO, the model-answer calculation should have been done using ##\lambda## = 0.95 cm rather than ##\lambda## =1.00cm.

But really, no calculation is needed. It is not difficult to argue that the formation of any bright fringes is not physically possible if ##\lambda \gt d##.
Thank you for your help @Steve4Physics!

Sorry I forgot about this thread.

Likes Steve4Physics

Related to Measuring wavelength of microwave radiation using double slits

What is the basic principle behind measuring the wavelength of microwave radiation using double slits?

The basic principle relies on the interference pattern created when microwave radiation passes through two closely spaced slits. The waves emerging from the slits interfere with each other, creating a pattern of constructive and destructive interference. By measuring the distance between these interference fringes, we can calculate the wavelength of the microwave radiation.

How do you set up an experiment to measure the wavelength of microwave radiation using double slits?

To set up the experiment, you need a microwave source, a pair of double slits, and a detector to measure the intensity of the microwaves. The microwave source emits waves that pass through the double slits, creating an interference pattern. The detector is moved along a path perpendicular to the direction of the microwave propagation to measure the intensity at different points, allowing you to map the interference pattern.

What equipment is necessary for this experiment?

The essential equipment includes a microwave generator, a pair of double slits (which can be made from metal plates with slits cut into them), a detector (such as a microwave receiver or probe), and a means to move the detector to measure the intensity at various points. Additionally, you may need a ruler or measuring tape to measure distances accurately.

How do you calculate the wavelength from the interference pattern?

Once you have the interference pattern, identify the positions of the bright (constructive interference) and dark (destructive interference) fringes. Measure the distance between successive bright or dark fringes. The wavelength (λ) can be calculated using the formula λ = (d * Δx) / L, where d is the distance between the slits, Δx is the distance between adjacent bright or dark fringes, and L is the distance from the slits to the detector.

What are some common sources of error in this experiment and how can they be minimized?

Common sources of error include inaccurate measurements of distances, misalignment of the slits and detector, and external interference affecting the microwave signal. To minimize these errors, ensure precise measurement tools are used, carefully align the slits and detector, and conduct the experiment in an environment with minimal external electromagnetic interference. Additionally, repeating the experiment multiple times and averaging the results can help reduce random errors.