Mechanical engineering: Maximum Power Transmitted by a V-Belt Assembly

In summary: What is the formula for Power, and how does it relate to the mass of the belt, the tension in the belt, and the velocity of the belt?
newtonisaac101
Summary:: Hi I’m in second year mechanical engineering and I really need help with this question! Sorry about my handwriting in the attachment I’ve put in, I've written the question out but there is an image of figure one on the file attached. Many thanks!

[Mentor Note -- Thread moved from a technical forum, so no Homework Template is shown]

A Single Vee-belt is shown in figure 1.
The mass of the belt is 0.35kg per metre and the maximum permissible stress is 1.4MPa in the belt material.
The angle of lap is 140 degrees and the total angle of groove is 30 degrees.
If the coefficient of friction between the belt and the pulley is 0.15, determine the maximum power that can be transmitted.

Attachments

• 861EB09F-7EAB-4542-8507-3F21D899F15A.png
    861EB09F-7EAB-4542-8507-3F21D899F15A.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 196
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Newtonisaac101 said:
Summary:: Hi I’m in second year mechanical engineering and I really need help with this question! Sorry about my handwriting in the attachment I’ve put in, I've written the question out but there is an image of figure one on the file attached. Many thanks!

[Mentor Note -- Thread moved from a technical forum, so no Homework Template is shown]

A Single Vee-belt is shown in figure 1.
The mass of the belt is 0.35kg per metre and the maximum permissible stress is 1.4MPa in the belt material.
The angle of lap is 140 degrees and the total angle of groove is 30 degrees.
If the coefficient of friction between the belt and the pulley is 0.15, determine the maximum power that can be transmitted.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

On schoolwork / homework questions, we require that you show an attempt at the solution before we can offer tutorial help. What do you think the Relevant Equations are for this problem? Why are the coefficient of friction and the max tensile stress important?

Likes etotheipi

FAQ: Mechanical engineering: Maximum Power Transmitted by a V-Belt Assembly

1. What is a V-Belt Assembly?

A V-Belt Assembly is a type of power transmission system that uses a V-shaped belt to transfer power from a motor to a machine or equipment.

2. How does a V-Belt Assembly work?

The V-Belt Assembly works by using friction between the belt and the pulleys to transfer power. The V-shaped design of the belt allows for a larger surface area to come in contact with the pulleys, increasing the friction and power transmission.

3. What factors affect the maximum power transmitted by a V-Belt Assembly?

The maximum power transmitted by a V-Belt Assembly is affected by several factors, including the type and size of the belt, the tension of the belt, the speed of the pulleys, and the coefficient of friction between the belt and the pulleys.

4. How is the maximum power transmitted by a V-Belt Assembly calculated?

The maximum power transmitted by a V-Belt Assembly can be calculated using the formula: P = (T1 - T2) x V, where P is the power in watts, T1 and T2 are the tensions in the tight and slack sides of the belt, and V is the belt speed in meters per second.

5. What are the advantages of using a V-Belt Assembly for power transmission?

Some advantages of using a V-Belt Assembly for power transmission include its simple design, low cost, high efficiency, and ability to absorb shock and vibration. It also allows for easy adjustment of belt tension and can operate in both high and low-speed applications.