Mechanical engineering or mechanical engineering technology

In summary, if you have passion and determination, you can do any engineering degree, even a two-year technology degree.
Andrew30
Hi I am new to this forum and have a series question. I have a dilemma I want to do mechanical engineering, but based on my circumstances I'm worried I may not have enough funds to get past and associates degree of engineering. do you guys think I could get a technicians job with that or should I go for a technologist degree since they only require 2 years? if i could get a job with an as degree in mechanical engineering, than i could finish my engineering degree. But if you guys say I can't then I will pursue a technology degree. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The first two years of an engineering degree are preparation for the engineering courses in the third and fourth year. If you want employable skills take a two-year engineering technology course.

The first two years of an engineering degree are preparation for the engineering courses in the third and fourth year. If you want employable skills take a two-year engineering technology course.

Thank you for responding to my post. I have another question do you think that mechanical engineering technology will be in demand in the future like mechanical engineering? Since manufacturing jobs are going over seas? And computer aided drafting and machinist are becoming less in demand would it even make sense to pursue a mechanical engineering technology degree in todays job market or is it a waste of time?

I have been really stuggling between the two I really have a strong passion to do the mechanical engineering degree. I am currently using student loans to help me pay for college. I am worried that due to the student loan crisis, that I am afraid that I will get half way through the mechanical engineering degree and they will cut student funding. Just my luck and I will be stuck with just a associates of science degree. That's why I have been looking at the mechanical technology degree because I will be more likely to finish it if they made budget cuts. I know it seems like I am over thinking but I watch the news a lot and there has been a lot of attention on student not being able to pay back.there loans. With Donald Trump leading in the polls student loans and federal aid will likely be cut in the near future. And I feel this might keep me from finish my mechanical engineering degree.

Last edited:
The important thing is to do what you want. I thought you are ambivalent, but you do seem more interested in the full four year engineering degree. The job market in engineering is so up and down that you shouldn't base any decision on what you think it will be. As an undergraduate advisor, I have always told students it's safe to go into today's bad job market area, because it's likely to rebound in four years. Again, just do what you want to for yourself, and the future will take care of itself. Trump's big lead only consists of 20% of one party. Student aid will not be cut. Any warnings to the contrary are just to get primary votes the Iowans students.

FAQ: Mechanical engineering or mechanical engineering technology

1. What is the difference between mechanical engineering and mechanical engineering technology?

Mechanical engineering is a broad field that focuses on designing, analyzing, and manufacturing mechanical systems, such as machines and tools. Mechanical engineering technology, on the other hand, is a more practical and hands-on approach that focuses on the application of engineering principles to develop, maintain, and test mechanical systems.

2. What skills are needed for a career in mechanical engineering or mechanical engineering technology?

Some essential skills for a career in mechanical engineering or mechanical engineering technology include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, proficiency in math and science, attention to detail, and excellent communication and teamwork skills. Additionally, knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) software and hands-on experience with tools and equipment is also crucial.

3. What industries can I work in with a degree in mechanical engineering or mechanical engineering technology?

Mechanical engineering and mechanical engineering technology are highly versatile fields, and professionals can find employment in a wide range of industries, including automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, construction, energy, and healthcare. These industries require mechanical engineers and technologists to design, develop, and maintain various mechanical systems and products.

4. What is the job outlook for mechanical engineers and mechanical engineering technologists?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for mechanical engineers is projected to grow 4% from 2019 to 2029, which is about as fast as the average for all occupations. The job outlook for mechanical engineering technologists is also positive, with a projected growth rate of 3% during the same period.

5. How can I become a licensed professional engineer (PE) in the field of mechanical engineering?

In most states, becoming a licensed professional engineer (PE) in mechanical engineering requires a combination of education, work experience, and passing the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) and Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) exams. Specific requirements may vary by state, so it is essential to research the licensing requirements in the state where you plan to work.