Mechanical Principles help please.

In summary, the Weston differential pulley block has two top pulleys with diameters of 210mm and 190mm. To raise a load of 150kg, the effort required would be 75 units, and the work done in overcoming friction when the load is raised through a height of 2.5m would be 3677.6 N/M. To calculate these values, you would need to use formulas for velocity ratio, mechanical advantage, and efficiency of the system. It is important to use the diameter of the pulleys when making these calculations.
crutts
1. The top pulleys of a Weston differential pulley block have diameters of 210mm and 190mm. Determine the effort required to raise a load of 150kg if the efficency of the system is 35%.

What is the work done in overcoming friction when the load is raised through a height of 2.5m?

I did some working out and got:

effort = load/number of pulleys = 150/2 = 75 (what units?)

and work done= (150x9.8) x 2.5 = 3677.6 N/M

I did 150x9.8 to get Newtons.

Is this correct?

Cheers Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
you must work out using these formulas

i only no this as i did the same question in class

you need to work out the velocity ratio of the machine first

vr = 2 d1/(d1-d2)

then the mechanical advantage

effiency of the system = mechanical advantage/ velocity ratio x 100 %

you need to transpose this

effort of the machine = load / mechanical advantage

this is for the first part

second part is

wd = force x distance moved

then effiency of the system = work output/work input

you also need to transpose this
i no how you feel this is a hard subject and i am also finding it hard !

I take it d stands for diameter? Should it be this or should it be circumfrence?

Joe

d is the diameter of each pulley

Should I use diameter or circumfrence? As i seem to remember circumfrence being mentioned in class.

when i calculated these i used the diameters and the answers were correct compared to the answers i had.

Ok cheers.

Related to Mechanical Principles help please.

1. What are mechanical principles?

Mechanical principles refer to the fundamental laws and concepts that govern the behavior of physical objects and systems. These principles include mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.

2. Why are mechanical principles important?

Mechanical principles are important because they provide a framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of objects and systems in the physical world. They are essential for designing and building machines, structures, and other technologies.

3. What are some examples of mechanical principles in everyday life?

Some examples of mechanical principles in everyday life include the laws of motion, such as Newton's laws, which govern the movement of objects; the laws of thermodynamics, which dictate how energy is transferred and transformed; and the principles of statics and dynamics, which describe the forces acting on objects at rest and in motion.

4. How can understanding mechanical principles help in problem-solving?

Understanding mechanical principles can help in problem-solving by providing a systematic approach to analyzing and solving problems related to the behavior of physical objects and systems. It allows for the identification of key factors and variables, and the application of established principles and equations to find solutions.

5. Are there any resources available for learning more about mechanical principles?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning more about mechanical principles. These include textbooks, online courses, videos, and tutorials. Additionally, many universities and colleges offer courses in mechanical engineering, which cover these principles in depth.